Plumber took brick off side of my home

2,071 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Lost
KVB07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry this is so long. TLDR at bottom

I heard water running inside my walls when no one was using water and eventually found a leak at the slab. On Easter Sunday my Dad and I dug down and exposed the leak before calling the plumber. We shut the water off and called our Home Warranty (American Home Shield). They sent a company out of San Antonio Called ASAP Plumbing. ASAP calls and says they can come on Wednesday and someone needs to be there. I asked for a time frame and they said between 10AM and 6PM. WTF? that's the best you can give me? The guy finally shows up about 3:30. I showed him the leak, and he says "Is it leaking at the slab?", and wants me to turn the water on so he can see it. He sees it and says "yep you have a leak, but it's not covered with your warranty". It had been 4 days so I'm frustrated, and I was to leave for Lubbock Friday and don't want to leave my Wife and Son without water. his initial cost was $1200, then he found out home warranty WOULD cover $1000, and the cost magically jumped to $2200.He also go on and says that they may have to rip out my tubs and chip into the concrete in the master bathroom, which would raise the price drastically. He tells me to be put on the books I had to pay half of what I owed so they could start the work. Although extremely frustrated and out of time, I paid him $600.

Up to this point he still hasn't actually seen the leak, just the big puddle of water.

The next day (Thursday), a pair of guys show up about 2:30, and start tearing brink away from my house. Luckily the brick was smarter that them and at about 5:30, and 2-3 bricks later they give up and tell me they need to bring a mason out with a bigger saw. they would be back the next day

Friday I get a call about 1PM that the plumber would be there about 2. My wife gets home at 4:45 and walks out to see them using MY TOOLS! not their own. Since I'm in Lubbock, She hands them the phone. After a good ass chewing, he tells me it's an easy fix, doesn't know why they even said they needed to take brick away, and would have water in about 20 min. sure enough in about 45 min, My wife calls back and says he's done and has put my tools back. I refused to pay him anymore, and told him his office could call me to settle up. The Tech agrees that we already overpaid and need to call the office.

Meanwhile, I call Home warranty and tell them what's up. They tell me to cancel the check and we would figure it out. Monday the Office called and said the $675 should cover it all and no more payment was needed
I informed them that they weren't getting the $675 because I canceled it and I wanted to know who was going to fix my brick.her response was " Ill speak with my supervisor and get back with you". I haven't heard back but also don't have the brick on my house restored.

So my question is; Shouldn't they be responsible for my brick since they took it off without actually properly diagnosing the problem? If not, what recourse do I have about this?

ALSO, if you live in, or around San Antonio, STAY AWAY FROM ASAP PLUMBING

TLDR: plumber grossly misdiagnosed because he's lazy. Removed brick from my home. Job is done, and brick is still missing. What to do?

fourth deck
AG
Should pin this to the top of the board for reference next time someone asks if home warranties are worth it.

You're not wrong for wanting someone to repair the mess they've made. If AHS balks at this I would ask for any refund in premium you might have left on your policy and use it to have someone competent clean things up.
Bassmaster
AG
I don't know the answer to your question, but I recently had my first ever home warranty claim for a busted water heater and after a lot of shady activity on behalf of Old Republic and the plumber they sent out, I just told Old Republic to write me a check and I would fix it myself, which I did. Won't waste the money on the warranty when it is up for renewal.
Gary79Ag
AG
The name of the plumbing company, ASAP Plumbing, should have been your first clue!

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been put through...ridiculous, to say the least!
Whitetail
AG
Gary79Ag said:

The name of the plumbing company, ASAP Plumbing, should have been your first clue!

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been put through...ridiculous, to say the least!

Google reviews...2 5*'s and 7 1*'s for an average of 2*

My favorite review: "all they want to do is take your money and destroy as many walls as possible."
KVB07
AG
Whitetail said:

Gary79Ag said:

My favorite review: "all they want to do is take your money and destroy as many walls as possible."
Unfortunately I was between a rock and a hard place with not having water for my family and leaving town, so I felt like I had to bite the bullet and get it done. I finally read the reviews on Friday, and wish I had done it earlier, but that one made me chuckle as well
Whitetail
AG
Wasn't trying to make light of your situation, that's a tough spot with no water on in your house and you scheduled to travel, although it read like that. Sorry.

I live in SA and figured I'd check the reviews to see if you situation was isolated. That same review said they tried to charge 41k. Had me chuckling. The home warranty co and the plumbing co seem like scammers.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'd say darn right they're responsible for fixing your wall. You never signed anything with them, so toy have them by the short hairs. Read the terms and conditions with the warranty company and then sink your teeth into them.

Might start with a certified letter stating your demands and a deadline.
sts7049
AG
such garbage. sorry OP, i hope you get this resolved.

by the way, are you SURE they actually fixed the problem?
letterman72
AG
sts7049 said:

such garbage. sorry OP, i hope you get this resolved.

by the way, are you SURE they actually fixed the problem?
Shut off all water flow in and outside of your house then check your water meter to see if it's running.
KVB07
AG
To make matters worse, I went to get my shovels that I left by the leak and realized that they are not there. I guess the plumbers helped themselves to them.
Smokedraw01
My Dad owns a tow truck company and refuses to drive for AAA, which is the car version of AHS. They pay crap, so only the crappiest services drive for them. Same for the AHS folks.
Vernada
AG
RedAgs01 said:

My Dad owns a tow truck company and refuses to drive for AAA, which is the car version of AHS. They pay crap, so only the crappiest services drive for them. Same for the AHS folks.

That doesn't really reflect my experiences using AAA.
The Lost
KVB07 said:

Whitetail said:

Gary79Ag said:

Unfortunately I was between a rock and a hard place with not having water for my family and leaving town, so I felt like I had to bite the bullet and get it done. I finally read the reviews on Friday, and wish I had done it earlier, but that one made me chuckle as well

Well if you were between a rock and a hard place, getting rid of the rock does sound like a reasonable solution
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.