circuit breaker maintenance check

1,023 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cone
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
do y'all perform any regular (annual) maintenance checks on your home circuit breakers?

if so, what exactly do you do?

i feel like it's something i should probably check regularly (like the GFCIs), but i've been putting it off for years now simply because i'm not sure what to do and whether it would even be useful

been in the home since 2012, year of construction is 1991

thanks for any and all advice!

Martin Q. Blank
It's pretty easy. Take apart a coat hanger or paper clip and stick both ends in the outlet. If the circuit breaker trips, you're good. If it doesn't, pull out the paper clip quickly to avoid a fire. Wear gloves to avoid shock.
sleepybeagle
AG
Quote:

It's pretty easy. Take apart a coat hanger or paper clip and stick both ends in the outlet. If the circuit breaker trips, you're good. If it doesn't, pull out the paper clip quickly to avoid a fire. Wear gloves to avoid shock.
While you're at it - try throwing the toaster into the kitchen sink!

I honestly wouldn't worry about my circuit breakers in a house of your age. But whatever you do...DO NOT STICK A PAPER CLIP in an outlet!
cone
AG
i read somewhere on the web to once a year unplug major appliances from the circuits and manually flip each breaker (i guess just to make sure that they aren't mechanically stuck)

but sometimes i can't tell what's good advice and what's complete overkill

like are modern circuit breakers so reliable as to never require maintenance/inspection? if so, awesome.
The Fife
I tightened ours for the first time since 1970 a couple of years ago but never anything more than that.
DriftwoodAg
AG
I just replaced a 10 yr old breaker. It was pretty evident it wasn't working when it tripped and wouldn't reset
UnderoosAg
AG
The Fife said:

I tightened ours for the first time since 1970 a couple of years ago but never anything more than that.

With the power off, tighten all the connections in the panel. Look for any burn marks or anything signs of overheating. AFCI and GFCI breakers you can test via the test switch. Making sure the breakers aren't mechanically stuck ain't a bad idea. Beyond that, there's not much else to test in a residential breaker.
cone
AG
thanks!

appreciate your advice!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.