Choice of Back Up Generator?

2 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXTebone
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in a residential neighborhood where natural gas is available.

Any recommendations as to the type of back-up generator one should get?

Propane? Propane/Natural Gas convertible?

shihitemuslim
AG
I'm not sure but Gander Mountain is going out of business and has some back up generators for sale. I though about getting one.
Frisco
AG
Generac seems popular. I don't have any input other than to relay something I was told. Be careful with Nat gas because if the power to the Nat gas pumps are out then you don't get any gas.
GasAg90
If natural gas system goes down then there are probably bigger problems.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I second a multi fuel generator. Propane & natural gas. Or you could build your own out of an old 6BT. They will run on damn near anything.
Squadron7
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I second a multi fuel generator. Propane & natural gas. Or you could build your own out of an old 6BT. They will run on damn near anything.

6BT?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Squadron7 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

6BT?

http://m.cumminshub.com/12v.html
Dr. Doctor
AG
Most Nat Gas compressors steal gas from the pipeline (i.e., they take in 100 units, use 10 and compress to sell the other 90). If the pipeline goes down it is:

A) very large hole in the pipeline
B) all compressors have gone down
C) SHTF and running a generator is high on the list, but food/livelihood is higher.

I work for a company that designs gas plants and gas users. The one back up compressor is generally an electric compressor, powered by a black-start diesel generator and/or gas turbine. Enough to get a station online (LNG, etc.) to get gas pressure up to feed power plants.

~egon
Frisco
AG
thats cool to know! I always wondered about that
TXTebone
AG
Generac natural gas watercooled 22k with auto switch is what I have used in two homes. 4000 sf home
and handles everything. Good insurance when out of town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.