Water heater replace and install pricing

641 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cslifer
Pendragon12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My water heater appears to have a rusting problem. At minimum, I have to replace the expansion tank since it's completely rusted out. It's less than 6 years old so I'm leaning towards getting another opinion on whether the whole heater needs to be replaced, but the water coming out still looked murky regardless.

I'm try to figure out if these prices are outrageous:

- replace expansion tank and back pressure regulator for $890
- replace whole water heater plus regulator and BPV for $2950. Would include 6 year parts and labor warranty and 3 years of annual flushing.

I'm just outside of San Antonio if that matters.
Gary79Ag
AG
Get some more quotes as those are highway robbery if you ask me!

Are they just replacing the existing equipment or bringing something up to code as well?
Pendragon12
AG
Apologies, they would be bringing everything up to code as well.

So brass connections where I currently don't have them, an atmospheric vacuum relief valve which I was told is now code. And it would be a Rheem tank water heater.
JP76
DIY and save about $2400
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
DIY,
If it's electric it's as simple as flipping the breaker, turning off water line, remove old one, install new.

Gas gets a little more technical to attach the gas line if it's gas but not too bad.

The old one will be crazy heavy though so grab some buds
Pendragon12
AG
It's gas.

I got another quote, on the phone so we'll see when they come out tomorrow, but it was about 1100 for the heater and 600 for the BPV, expansion tank, and code updates. A lot closer to what I expected. I'm also going to have them figure out if I really need a new heater. These first guys were helpful in that they stuck around despite me just paying for a routine flush, but I definitely want a second opinion.

Thanks for the comments here. Confirmed my suspicions and called around.
cslifer
Still waaaay to much. I got a 40 gal rheem gas heater for half that more or less. And skip the "code updates". This is replacing a piece of equipment, not a major remodel. You are essentially keeping your house the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.