Deck pricing

1,597 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the general pricing guideline for building a deck? Proposed is removing approx 300 sq ft old one and putting in an approx 700 sq ft new one.

Thinking composite with some sort of metal ballisters in the railings. Is there a sq ft dollar amount I can expect from bids?
tgivaughn
AG
Demolition varies but is cheaper than expected

Last time we got a pro to deck it was close to $7.50/sf, so I would expect $8 if new piers/structure involved, just guessing. Rough framers & handymen might cost less.
CapCity12thMan
AG
does $1300 to demo existing deck ~322 sq ft and ~44 lf of railing seem high? It does to me. The existing deck is all pressure treated wood and deck screws. Very cheaply done.
TexAg1987
CapCity12thMan said:

does $1300 to demo existing deck ~322 sq ft and ~44 lf of railing seem high? It does to me. The existing deck is all pressure treated wood and deck screws. Very cheaply done.
Does it include digging up piers, disposal of the wood?
CapCity12thMan
AG
I was quoted the following:

Demo deck - 322 SF $1143
Demo railing - 45 LF $206
Large Trash Haul Off - $1252

So, it looks like in total ~$2500. I am not sure if "Large Trash haul off" is the demo or inclusive of general trash as they work on the project (trash, cut remains, etc.)

and yes, digging up of existing posts -approx 8 and demo of two staircases, although the stringers are just screwed in to posts.
TexAg1987
Obviously you could do it yourself cheaper. A weekend, two friends and a trailer to take to the dump.

In demo you would be better off if everything was nailed, not screwed. Screws will likely strip out trying to take everything apart. You will need a sawzall and a sledge.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I am thinking of doing it myself, yes. It's demo, so however I can get it done I will get it done. Was thinking of renting a good sawzall too - I probably don't have the patience to sit there and unscrew every single screw and then too - they may strip, although the deck is only 5 yrs old.

But my question is - is that an outrageous price? I have a call into a demo company to see what their quote would be...http://texasfencedemolition.com/

Aggietaco
AG
Since we're just going off of 322 sqft and they have presumably looked at the actual deck, $3.50/sqft is probably not outrageous, but it does seem high. As for having it done inexpensively without you self performing, just call some of the local handyman types. I'd bet they are cheaper than a specialty "demo" sub.
TexAg1987
Small projects always price high. Probably not too far out of line. You could try letting someone come take it for the wood. If it's not too old you may find a taker. They are going to leave the hard to get pieces.
CapCity12thMan
AG
what about new deck materials? I have been priced for some Azec PVC materials, but have also been reading about Trex composite decking. Is there some definitive resource for comparison and are the warranties they claim on them worth it? Part of this deck will be under a roof, the other exposed to a good amount of sun.

Any thoughts or expected price/sq ft for install? I am being quoted $40/sq ft., diagonal laid, with perimeter board detail, 6x6 edge trim, hidden fasteners. Please tell me this is top end pricing.
62strat
AG
I just posted on the other deck thread, I paid about $6/sf for trex decking and 12"x24LF of fascia all in trex.
Then add on trex handrail and structural components, I was all in for about $2500 on 12x20, doing it myself.

My pricing was over 10 years ago.

My parents have a 20 year old trex deck. Dad has never done 1 single thing to it as far as maintenance, and while it shows its age, it still looks great and in no need of repairs. It truly is in a different league than wood.

Oh Four Five
AG
Those that have gone the composite or PVC route, is the heat an issue?

I'm buying a new house that has a 250 sq. ft. 2nd floor wood deck that should probably be replaced. I'm leaning composite or PVC because I don't want to have to just much to maintain it but I'm worried about it getting too hot. It's on the northeast side of the house, so I'm hoping it won't get too much sun later in the day...
CapCity12thMan
AG
you can go to https://azek.com/store/catalog-and-samples and order samples Then do the same for https://timbertech.com/store/catalog-and-samples

Or on those websites find a seller (such as McCoys) and you can get samples from them. Set them all out in the heat and compare. The Azec is a much lighter weight (not sure that matters for install though), but yes - they don't absorb as much heat for sure - it is easy to tell

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.