Running dedicated power outlets in my Garage

2,251 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by UnderoosAg
dtkprowler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently bought a new home and the garage only has 2 outlets in it. One is completely used up by our sprinkler system and AT&T Fiber modem. The other is half used by a deep freeze. I am also a below average woodwork so I do run power tools (table saw, router, an old furnace blower, etc) all of which run on 120.

So, I am wanting to install a few new outlets around the garage and I think I want to install a new breaker in my box for these outlets. I have done minor wiring in the past (lights, ceiling fans, switches, plugs) but I am relatively amateur, so if I should defer to a pro, definitely let me know.

So here comes the list of questions I was hoping to get help with.

1. Should I tackle this on my own?

2. I have read that I need to use GFCI outlets in the Garage (wet area). Do I need to use these?

3. What size size breaker should I be using. My research says a 20 amp breaker.

4. What wire gauge should I be using? My research says 12 gauge.

5. I am wanting to install 3 new plugs. My thoughts are to run a single wire from the breaker box, into the attic, and use a junction box to feed the other outlet locations.

I know there some things that I am obviously missing so any and all help/advice that you can give me would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!
Dr. Venkman
AG
When you say completely/half used up, do you mean the amperage or the actual space on the receptacle?
dtkprowler
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

When you say completely/half used up, do you mean the amperage or the actual space on the receptacle?
Sorry, just the outlet spaces!
Aggietaco
AG
1. Sure, easy enough job for an average DIYer.
2. GFCI is required by NEC for garages, good idea to spend the few extra bucks on these.
3. 20A is a good size for the garage, assuming you'll be using one or two tools at a time.
4. 12 gauge is rated to 20A, 12 or 10 is good.
5. If your plugs are not all linear, a junction box at a central location is just fine (and potentially easier). You don't find many junction boxes in residential installs, but I've worked a few into my re-work for simplicity and planned future expansion.
dtkprowler
AG
Gracias AggieTaco!

Can anyone else think of something I may be missing here or just not thinking of?
sleepybeagle
AG
Aggietaco knows stuff!
hurricanejake02
AG
If you think you need 3, you probably need 6, especially if you move from below average to average woodworker.

If you're going through the process anyway, make sure you have enough amperage and circuits to run a decent air compressor alongside your tools.
dtkprowler
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

If you think you need 3, you probably need 6
Hmmmmmm
Aggietaco
AG
The only other thing I would consider is exploring your existing outlets and lighting in the garage to see if it's easily separated from the current circuit. If so, I would rather everything in the garage be easily isolated on the same circuit.
V8Aggie
AG
Aggietaco said:

The only other thing I would consider is exploring your existing outlets and lighting in the garage to see if it's easily separated from the current circuit. If so, I would rather everything in the garage be easily isolated on the same circuit.
I would also prefer to have two separate circuits in the garage so you can run multiple high amperage tools at once without having to worry about tripping the breaker. I'd also go 30 amp but be sure you have the correct gauge wire if you do go that route. (I think it's 10 gauge for copper wire)
Splitag
AG
I have done this in both of the homes that I have owned. The house I live in now, fits your setup to a T. Even worse, both of the outlets in the garage were within 6 feet of one another in the same corner. I added a 20 amp breaker and ran wire from the back corner of the house (where the breaker box was located) up through the two story attic, and strung a circuit of three new GFCI outlets together. Running the wire, tacking it to the rafters, and drywall prep is busy work. The difficult part will be snaking the wire connection down the exterior wall to the breaker box. I have had to cut a small access into the drywall on the back side of the breaker box both times I have done this.
Gigemags05
AG
My only advice echos something said above: Add as many outlets as you can safely add.

I have never met someone who wished they had fewer outlets.

I just built an 18x35 shop and I went way overboard.
tgivaughn
AG
I do agree with those suggesting DIY, even I have done this DIY and I hate electrical risks.
That said, there's a number of iceberg tips mentioned that make me suggest spending a few extra dollars on a real live electrician, perhaps one found accredited at the BBB. You could get three bids that include corrective work suggested.

You have one existing outlet that serves small amp devices, OK.
The other existing outlet serves a deep freezer, normally we put that on a dedicated outlet, like a refrigerator or microwave. This might be better served by a new outlet and abandon the existing one for tools use.

The other outlets - best determined by your electrician.
Lay out all the tools that need to be served, be sure their amp/watts/etc. are displayed - why guess about it?
The #2 cause of house fires is electrical.
(#1 open flame, #3 chimney fire)
Now ask if there's any more room for a "few extra" outlets, to insure you never have to do this again & best for resale.
AgEngineer72
AG
I offer several thoughts for your consideration:

1. DIY is fine but be careful.
2. Junction box in attic is fine but remember never "bury" a J-box in a wall or anywhere inaccessible
3. In a garage it needs to be a minimum 20 amp GFCI protected circuit which requires 12 gauge romex
4. There are recent code changes for GFCI outlets, get new ones
5. There is no reason to run 30amp circuits unless you have a specific requirement like some welders or air compressors.
6. Don't put 'standard' 15amp receptacles on a 20amp circuit. Get 20amp outlets.
7. Put power outlets for tools on a separate circuit from lights- if you trip a breaker you don't want to be fumbling in the dark.
8. Think about running 2 new power circuits, or more. Even a 20amp circuit will pushed to the max with a table saw, hand tools, air compressor, fans, etc. If you can, mix outlets from different circuits on a wall.
9. Add more lighting.
10. Good luck.
dtkprowler
AG
Once again, thanks for all of the great advice. I feel a little more confident in tackling this one now.

Another quick question, how do I know which kind of breaker to buy? Lowes here has about a million different 20 amp breakers and some are REALLY expensive. Do I need to go with an expensive one?
AgEngineer72
AG
Has to match your breaker panel- can't buy just any breaker. Look at your breaker box and figure out manufacturer name and model number. Typically a name tag will tell you what breakers are compatible for you panel. If you post the manufacturer and model I'll help you. Or post a couple of pictures, at least 1 of the model number plate.
UnderoosAg
AG
This may sound stupid, but before you get too far down the road make sure you have space available in the panel.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
As far as breaker types, what is the make/model of your electric panel?
bmc13
AgEngineer72
AG
UnderoosAg said:

This may sound stupid, but before you get too far down the road make sure you have space available in the panel.

Was wondering the same thing. That's was part of Mary reason for pictures.
dtkprowler
AG
Alrighty. Here we go. Hopefully this helps a little with the question!

...aaaaand could not get images to work through imgur or anything else. So i have linked them. Sorry for the link or inconvenience. I'll keep trying to load them though.

https://ibb.co/dodu5k
https://ibb.co/dw7Ad5
https://ibb.co/hgRgkk

Thanks again for all yalls help!
UnderoosAg
AG
That is, in fact, ANSI 31 gray.

Now, how about a picture of the inside?
dtkprowler
AG
UnderoosAg said:

That is, in fact, ANSI 31 gray.
Awesome! So relieved. Thought I had the wrong color gray!
UnderoosAg
AG
In theory, the 9 (on my phone, looks like 9) spaces on either side at the top should be open. You'd have to remove the cover to be sure.

** Call me nuts, but we do a fair amount of arc flash work. I'd very, very strongly recommend shutting off the power before removing the cover, especially if you've never done it before. I like Square D gear, but every so often they get a batch of panels where the covers tweek and you have to fidget with them to get the screws to align and put the cover back on. **

You're looking for a Square D 20 amp, single pole QO breaker. Should be $8-10.
dtkprowler
AG
Thanks I'll remove the covet and posy another picture
UnderoosAg
AG
Also looks like you have a breaker that tripped
AgEngineer72
AG
How old is your home (since original construction)? Looks like a standard 42 slot QO Load Center. And yep It's standard 1600 electrical fray or also known as battleship gray. As Underoos said, this requires a fairly commonly available breaker. To repeat, be careful.
UnderoosAg
AG
FML. I blame it on sitting on a plane waiting to taxi after a long week. ANSI 31 is a hatch pattern.
Gary79Ag
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Also looks like you have a breaker that tripped
Yeah, #14...Disposal
Gary79Ag
AG
UnderoosAg said:

FML. I blame it on sitting on a plane waiting to taxi after a long week. ANSI 31 is a hatch pattern.
Not Spirit Airlines by chance?

Spirit Airlines?
AgEngineer72
AG
Naw, I see ANSI 31referenced a lot despite the clarification you noted.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Just a suggestion, but if you run multiple power circuits on the same wall, color code your cover plates to make it easier to remember which outlets belong to which circuits. That will help you keep track of how much you are loading each circuit with. You could label them, but the color coded plate covers makes it more visual and negates the need to get close and read a tiny label.
UnderoosAg
AG
Gary79Ag said:

UnderoosAg said:

Not Spirit Airlines by chance?

Spirit Airlines?

This is my 4th United flight this week. If another ass kicking video surfaces, I'm the one yelling ANSI 31 ANSI 31 ANSI 31!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.