concrete installation question/price check

1,461 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agcivengineer
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's my situation:

The pic above is at the end of my driveway on one corner of the house. Water runs down driveway, across garages and over to this location as indicated by the blue coloring. As you can see, the area is a total mud mess/eroded area that is being hindered by my gate. Getting trash cans in/out is a pain since they have to be behind the fence/hidden per HOA, and I am usually walking through mud to just take out the trash. Yes, I know - first world problems.

My idea is to continue this concrete around the corner of the house, keeping the drain channel for water to continue - indicated by the gray line on the ground around the area. The gate will be rebuilt (along with our fence) and ride high enough off concrete to just let water go under it.

The second part of the equation solves the trash can problem. In the white pad I drew on the ground, this will be part of the concrete, except more level relative to the rest and a slanted/curved lip to allow for easy roll off and roll back on of trash can and recycling can. To appease the HOA I will build a smaller fence on the street side of the trashcans to hide them, creating a nook or sorts. New fence is indicated by opaque wall on right.

The concrete we will want to match the driveway which has some colored aggregate in it (its not smooth concrete), and the total measurements are 8'x6' roughly. Of course there will need to be some shaping done to accommodate the contours and the pad for the cans.

I was quoted $2200. How does TexAgs HI forum people feel about that price? I was told that the concrete would be poured, allowed to set and then later something sprayed over it to remove a bit of the cement to then expose the aggregate to give it the right level of texture. So as I understand it, there is some time involved and multiple trips out to the house.
aezmvp
Dunno about the price but I'd double check with the HOA board about your fence idea. And if okay I'd go ahead and have them stick the metal fence poles in the ground while you're at it.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Refuse, garbage and trash shall be kept at all times in covered containers and such containers shall be kept within enclosed structures or appropriately screened from view.
Others have this same structure on the corners of their house, so I am not too worried about it.

i saw the greatest thing in another neighborhood...some guy had a boat parked on some grass next to his driveway and I am guessing someone complained about it, so he bought some fence panels and just leaned them up against it, giving the illusion it was a permanent fence. gotta think there was some arguing over that one, but I thought it was hilarious.
sleepybeagle
AG
Have you thought about concrete pavers or bricks? These both would be cheaper and would look nice.
CapCity12thMan
AG
with the sloping involved, and the contours for the trash cans, as well as likely water running through the area, I don't know how that would hold up. Trash cans with weight, turning and stuff - I need the area to be durable. I also think the desire to match existing driveway is pretty high. Might be worth another look though.

here's a shot from the downhill side looking up to see what I am dealing with.
sleepybeagle
AG
Understood - you know the look you are after and form follows function.

Generally - I like to do something different than concrete next to a driveway, as in your case, just to break up the look a bit. I'm not a huge fan of concrete slabs around the house as it can look a bit stoic. Pavers look great, and with a good base will hold up to the wear and is easily contoured to your slope requirements.

Just a thought - Good luck!
tgivaughn
AG
I agree with your solution wholeheartedly and it also solves a more important problem not mentioned. Keeping water, especially standing water AWAY from your foundation, else it will lift it & the cracking begins. This is where the really great idea of pavers we all would prefer has clay feet, thus a no go.

The price seems ideal, since you are so concerned about the concrete matching ... which will only be "close enough", you must realize. Ergo, if a cheaper price is to be negotiated and every thing work beautifully as planned, it's this facet of cosmetics that could be negotiated.
The best way to get a great deal is to ASK THEM what would be easiest cosmetically.
Thereafter, you could consider after-the-fact cosmetics applied if a sore thumb; but this is second best to pay it all & forgetaboutit, move on to the next fixit.
southernskies
Nah All you gotta do is place the concrete until it is decently hard then do a light pressure wash over it to expose the aggregate. $2200 is insane for that little piece of concrete
southernskies
Where do you live?
CapCity12thMan
AG
Austin. Just to be clear...it's an 8x6 area that needs to be shaped. Just making sure you understand the picture correctly - the entire outlined area is what is being done - not just the little launch pad on the right.
southernskies
Yeah I hear ya. That price is definitely high. Shoot I would be inclined to drive up there to do that for you for less lol
agcivengineer
AG
You could pretty easily do this yourself if you wanted. Spray sugar water on the surface as it is setting up to stop the cement from hydrating and then broom it off to expose aggregate
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.