Chicken Raising Advice

3,246 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bbry81
jcurtis2979
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me and my wife and 3 kids have begun raising chickens and looking for good forum sites for information about what to look for and what to avoid etc. Anyone know any good info on Texags or the like?

Thanks!
Gary79Ag
AG
jcurtis2979 said:

Me and my wife and 3 kids have begun raising chickens and looking for good forum sites for information about what to look for and what to avoid etc. Anyone know any good info on Texags or the like?

Thanks!
Yeah, check with a guy by the name of Von Miller...
whitebob005
AG
You may have already found this but, backyardchickens.com is useful. We just started with some chickens as well. They'll be 5 weeks old on Friday.
jcurtis2979
AG
Thanks for the responses! I will give Von a call if the website doesn't work out!!
Gary79Ag
AG
jcurtis2979 said:

Thanks for the responses! I will give Von a call if the website doesn't work out!!
Couldn't help myself as Von was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw your request...
sleepybeagle
AG
Hey - take this to the football board!
BrazosDog02
AG
Check out backyard chickens forum.

It's not rocket science and everyone does things a little different so what works for others may not suit you exactly. That's ok. I have a little over 40 birds....Read about what to feed them and how to keep them safe. From there just enjoy them and find info as needed.

Username @ Gmail

I'll be happy to share any info if you have specific questions.
62strat
AG
whitebob005 said:

You may have already found this but, backyardchickens.com is useful. We just started with some chickens as well. They'll be 5 weeks old on Friday.
damn autocorrect took me to backdoorchickens.com. That is NOT what you're looking for.
BrazosDog02
AG
Lol. Interesting... Since the back door and the front door are the same! Yay science!
ToddyHill
AG
Also, don't hesitate to post on the Outdoors board. There are a few of us here who have egg-laying chickens. We've been doing it for a couple of years and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
oldvalleyrat
AG
Do possums kill and eat chicken?
Gary79Ag
AG
oldvalleyrat said:

Do possums kill and eat chicken?
Yes they do...

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/What-do-I-need-to-know-about-opossums-if-I-keep-H170.aspx
The Fife
Should I bring chicken to this thread to get her take on things?
reddog90
AG
I strongly suggest nipple waterers on a 5 gallon bucket and PVC pipe feeders. Cuts the mess and waste way down and the whole setup ends up being very low maintenance. I use a mixture of sand and sweet PDZ in the coop and sift with a cat litter scoop under the roost once a week or so to keep it clean and smelling decent. My run is filled with leaves or pine needles, and eventually turns to nice compost which I transfer to the garden every now and then. I like H&H feed. Check out plans for the garden coop online.
Tx Ag72
Wife started small back in the early 80's and now she is in the plus 35 category with 5 different pens. Mostly bantams with some standards which explains the different pens. Possums are a nuisance but coons are downright formidable. If there is a weakness in your pen, they find it. I had one chew through some rusted wire that I didn't know I had. All the grandkids love to gather the eggs and throw scratch. Good hobby.

BackwardsInBoots
AG
You don't happen to be a youtuber, do you?
hurricanejake02
AG
I haven't raised chickens since high school - but the local feed store was the best source of information available at the time.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
My family just got in on this Sunday with six egg layers, each 4 weeks old. I'll be checking out that forum.
thirty-two
AG
You have a picture of your set-up?
thirty-two
AG
My coop:

I have since changed the door to one that swings open, and is on a rechargable battery, powered by a solar panel. Currently have 10 hens.
bbry81
Here is my coop. We have 8 hens now. We have pvc pipes for water and food that makes it very easy to keep them fed. At some point we ended up with two roosters and they were the beautiful birds ever but we got rid of them so we didn't annoy the neighbors.

thirty-two
AG
Looks great! Do you keep yours inside the pen most of the time? Mine get noisy if I don't let them wander in the grass. I should have trained them better.

I'm thinking about putting up a taller "fence" around my coop, like what you have (just not covered).
bbry81
At first we did but now the roam our whole backyard. They don't mind being in there. When we have other dogs at our house or we are out of town we keep them in there all the time. But now that they are full grown our dogs leave them alone.
FincAg
AG
If you are in the Lake Highlands area of Dallas, be aware I have seen quite a few hawks lately. One of the red tails grabbed a chichi bird right out of the sky when I was in the front yard this week. A friend of mine has a long chicken run because he had a problem with hawks preying on his birds in Cali.
thirty-two
AG
I had a small gray hen disappear about a month ago. She was a small bird, so no chance of hopping the fence. I suspect a hawl or owl swooped down and grabber her.
bbry81
We have had two birds disappear. Both turned out to be mini hens so they weren't very big. Not sure if dogs or birds got them. My dogs have gotten a few chicks in the past when they were super small.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.