Patching Hardi Plank

1,528 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am looking to put in a new vent in the through a wall and out of the house. I will be cutting through the sheetrock and the hardi plank. In the future if I want to close out the vent, how hard is it to patch hardi? Would the whole piece need to be replaced or just the section. I am estimating it to be a 6-7" square.
sleepybeagle
AG
Why would you ever want to take the vent out? If you did - you could probably put a cover over the hole and paint it to match - much easier. I've never replaced hardiplank - but I googled and there are several sites that describe the process.
will.mcg
AG
You can either patch & caulk or replace the whole board in which case you should caulk the joints as well. Pick whichever one you think looks nicer & you want to take the time to do.
n_touch
Thats what I was thinking. Havent decided if I cutting into or not. I just know the next owner wont want a vent in the room.
The Original AG 76
AG
I have been told that you can use Bondo for smaller patching
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

I just know the next owner wont want a vent in the room

there has to be more to this story...
n_touch
Getting a larger laser engraving machine and putting it in my office. Needs to be vented out.
CapCity12thMan
AG
At whatever point you don't need the vent, couldn't you just leave it on the exterior, properly seal and insulate on the inside, and patch interior sheetrock, paint and be done with it. If it really bothers the next owner, they can remove the vent and patch the exterior. If it is on a part of the house that is not seen very much I wouldn't waste my time.

If you did end up repairing and were gonna go to the trouble, I would think replacing the whole strip of hardi would look better than any patching.

$.02
will.mcg
AG
If i can figure out how to post pictures I'll post my patch job before & after painting.
will.mcg
AG
Someone help me out with these pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131518114@N06/shares/fbz1eP
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.