Grass issue.

3,499 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GCRanger
GCRanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on what is causing this? I treated for fungus with f stop a month or so ago but this is still spreading. Started in neighbors yard. Disease, Grubs, too much/not enough water?

St. Augustine in Spring area.

Gary79Ag
AG
Have you tried to pull the dead stuff to see if it easily pulls up and the roots are gone? If so, it's Take-All-Root-Rot (TARR). If so, see Neil Sperry's solution in the links below:

Most Common St. Augustine Problems
Here is the sequence in which the problems will usually show up:

April/May: take all root rot (TARR, also known as take all patch). Grass is lethargic about greening up, may even be dead in patches. Application of 1 inch of s****num peat moss is best control. Fungus is repressed by the acidic interface. Conventional fungicides do not usually do much to help. Sun or shade.

Note: The s****num peat moss application is only effective in controlling TARR. I have so many people telling me that they have applied it in summer or fall and for things I know are not TARR it's not inexpensive. Double-check before you go to that expense.

This is TARR as it appeared in April.

Battling Take-All Root Rot

TARR Update!
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Are you seeing a number of small white moths flying up from the turf? If so, you likely have sod webworms. Those hit the entire Houston area hard last year and I've seen them in our lawn and the mother-in-law's lawn recently. There are chemicals that can be applied but the best solution is to treat with beneficial nematodes. They are packaged by the millions and you select based on square footage to be treated. I ordered 2 packages of 50 million each since we have 10-15K sq ft each to be treated. To be applied this weekend.

gigem70
AG
Looks like TARR to me. I would contact your County Extension Service.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I've got it again, looks just like that in my lawn. I'm in Beeville, so my greenup and warmup was a month or so ahead of you.

In my lawn, I suspect that towards the end of the summer I caught a bit of grey leaf spot that untreated through the winter wrecked havoc. I might have had some TARR as well settle in during the winter. One very hard freeze probably didn't help matters too much, as I'd actually mowed a couple days before that event and the lawn was short.

I started this year in February with a mistake. I put down my spring green up fertilizer. I realized my mistake, and set about correcting it. I went ahead and scalped, (several years of heavy thatch buildup). I lowered the mower one notch, then a 7-10 days later lowered it again. Following that I raked the yard to dethatch. In the front, I removed A LOT of dead blades and runners. The "yellow" grass is still there, but isn't as noticeable as the new growth is moving in nicely and taking advantage of the fertilizer that I applied earlier. I'm hopeful that in another month it'll be all cleared up.

Oh, I'm back to mowing 1 notch below max setting on my mower.
GCRanger
AG
I haven't seen any moths. I'll try the s****num peat moss and see if it helps.
txag2008
AG
Scalping St Augustine??
Kenneth_2003
AG
Scalping might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I mowed it shorter than it's been mowed in about 3 years. My mower has been on its tallest setting for that entire time, and the lawn was in dire need of de-thatching. Such that it was to the point that it looked over-cut after regular mowings last season.

The areas that weren't bit back by the fungus last fall/winter are thicker and lusher than they've been in years. The sick areas are growing back very nicely.
GCRanger
AG
So it seems to be spreading. There are yellow blades , like in the first pic below, all over the yard . There are only a couple spots that are like the second pic but afraid it is spreading. I put down s****num in the spots I posted about last week.

Beckdiesel03
AG
Having the same problem. I put the moss down and tmrw goes the F stop. I put two different fungicides down last year to no avail of the gray spot. Now it looks like TARS is coming over from my idiot neighbors. I have 3 dogs, 2 kids always outside and power wheels and in the hill country. To say my grass is stressed is an understatement.
GCRanger
AG
Would an overabundance of acorns decomposing cause anything like this? I picked up a ton of them, almost a 15 gallon trash can full, but there were still a lot left on the ground. The grass yellowing started in a slightly lower area of the yard where the acorns accumulated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.