New Palisades Zoysia sod watering schedule

11,707 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Btron
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags,
Got some new sod this weekend about 5 pallets for the backyard. My installation team did not communicate the watering schedule. I know this is different than St. Augustine which is in the front yard. Right now we're doing twice a day, 7am and about 5pm.

Can anyone help with watering schedule, mowing and possible near future fertilization?

Potcake
AG
We laid ours in August 2012, in thick of drought, and hand watered once a day for two weeks. I'm not sure when I first mowed though. I use a reel mower rather than rotary. It's a really good grass. We only water once per week in the Summer.
Btron
AG
Thanks.
I have hose sprinklers and not a system. So that is very exciting to hear for when it gets established
TMfrisco
AG
New sod - good rule of thumb.

Water to saturation as soon as it is laid.
Once a day for the first week.
Every other day for week 2.
Every 3rd day for week 3 - unless you are 90+ degrees.
As needed after that.

Mowing - I would wait 2 weeks to mow. Never mow more than 1/3 of leaf off at one time.
Btron
AG
Bump:
Grass is looking good. Some troubled spots but I guess that is to be expected with laying new sod, right? Mostly on the corners of the sod squares.
I am seeing a lot of clover weeds and what looks like rye or crabgrass. I'm assuming that came from the sod farm and will disappear over time with TX heat and mowing?
Should I look to lay any post-emergent or fertilizer in the coming months with this new sod?
plarmigan
AG
Just had 3 pallets of Palisades Zoysia sod installed in our backyard this past Thurs & Fri so I have pretty much the same questions as you - will be monitoring this thread.

I need to figure out if I can use the same fertilizer in our front yard (St Augustine) and backyard (Zoysia) and if so, which kind would be best that I can find locally (North Dallas).
Gigemags05
AG
Any clover type weed will likely be gone in a few weeks, as would any other cool season grasses (rye).

Yes, use a 3-1-2 fertilizer such as a 15-5-10 and you should be good to go on both the zoysia and the St. Aug.
lunchbox
Btron/plarmigan - I am curious to know how much shade you have in the backyard.

Half of my backyard is heavily shaded...so I don't have much more than weeds and a few St Aug runners going through it. I've read that Palisades Zoysai is good in the shade...but I don't know how much shade is too much for it. Thanks...
Gigemags05
AG
No turfgrass will handle shade as well as St. Augustine, particularly Palmetto. Pallisades handles shade better than most varieties of bermuda and zoysia, but will not perform as well as St. Augustine.
Btron
AG
I have one live oak that shades about 1/3 of my yard throughout the day. The majority is in the sun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.