replacing red tip photinias

3,374 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

We have two red tip photinias that frame the front of our house pretty nicely (at least we think they do). The above photo was from 2011 and both have since grown and we have pruned to managed the shape an size as best we could. I am told the one on the left is dying and as of today it is so much more thin and lifeless than the other. Both are probbaly close to 21-25 yrs old, based on age of house

We hate to lose the shade and the framing of the house that it gives, but what to replace them with? Both of these were planted approx 24" from the foundation too, and the one on the right is about 12" from the outgoing sewage line too, so that space is VERY crowded. The one one there right, there is a walkway from driveway to front door which precludes us from moving it out further too. In the spirit of being symmetrical, I would want the one on the left to match, but there room to move away from the house on that side for sure.

any thoughts?
agz win
AG
Southern wax myrtle / Bayleaf?
Holly?
Ligustrums?

All fast growers.
The Fife
I'd go for one of the first two, the others I've had spread around.

There's always dwarf pittosporum, but it may be too dark in there for that.
ChoppinDs40
AG
An arborist will tell you you can't plant there. We're talking about a 25 year old root system. It's going to be crowded. You're likely going to have to replace with landscaping.

I've got a 40+ sycamore in my front that I should take down. Problem is, I can't just plug another tree in that hole.
water turkey
Gulf Stream Nandina is a tall, skinny bush with pretty colored leaves and white flowers. They are easily pruned and shaped.

My last house, I had a pair on each end of the front porch.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

I can't just plug another tree in that hole

we just had a 20+ year old bradford pear removed and new 100 gal monterrey oak dropped in its place. That was done in Oct and the oak has come in really string this month - about 10" taller and wider than Oct size.

ChoppinDs40
AG
did they just grind the stump or did they remove the root system as well?

again, that's what a good arborist would suggest.
CapCity12thMan
AG
the stump was ground and then removed by cutting an empty space for the root ball to be dropped in, so the outside edges of the root ball of the 100 gal tree were touching what are now detached roots from the previous tree.
ChoppinDs40
AG
hmm, good luck with that. Why was the bradford pear removed?

Hope your Oak does well, paid the price of a used toyota corolla for that thing.
CapCity12thMan
AG

it lost a rather large limb, and being 20+ yrs that was the first of likely many, so it was time before one fell on my deck or house. Other Bradford Pears in neighborhood did this too last summer...

You say "good luck" like it wasn't a good idea...
ChoppinDs40
AG
Most arborists would suggest planting it at least 20ft from the original root system. At least, that's what I got from my experience of asking the same questions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.