Dyson Animal

2,114 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agcivengineer
chrisfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
We have a 10 year old dyson animal that's been great until the last few months. I am absolutely worthless as a handyman, so me diagnosing and fixing it myself is out of the question.

Is this worth taking to a vacuum repair shop (we're in bcs) or should we just bite the bullet and buy a new one for $500?

I hate to spend a few hundred bucks on repairs if it won't last more than another year.
Scriffer
AG
Option C gets my vote
Shark Navigator Freestyle Cordless Stick Vacuum (SV1106)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C351GBC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_ZiVG7TE42M7xG

We have a Boston Terrier / Husky mix that sheds like mad. My wife tried out this and the Dyson and loved this one. I even got away with giving it as a Christmas present. :-)
Mattressburn
AG
I've talked to a few vacuum repair guys, they love dysons because they make so much money cleaning and repairing them.

I vote drop the Dyson and getting a Kenmore Panasonic or Miele they'll last 20 years and cost the same as the Dyson. They last for years because they have bags which help with the filtering. Don't buy into the bagless hype check consumer reports the bagged models always score higher and they clean the air even better.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
We gave same dyson. Have you cleaned the filters? Cleaned the collection pan? Usually when I feel like It's not sucking right, I'll do those steps and it comes right back to life.
BrazosDog02
AG
I've owned two Dyson's over 15 years. The ball we have now is a pile of ***** The Dyson animal was too but I didn't know it. They are just flimsy plastic. My current ball was replaced under warrantyand then a few parts have been replaced on it under warranty l. Lol. While waiting for parts I bought a shark rotator professional. It was a little cheaper, built far better and cleans better. I keep the Dyson for the second floor where there is more carpet so it doesn't break the plastic fragile head and wheels.

I'd ditch the Dyson and look at a shark.
The Fife
I'd look into an old school Kirby with all the attachments. Ours is 50 years old now and still cleans better than any of the new stuff we've tried.
atx_aggie12
AG
I have repaired several of these vacuums. It is not very hard, I could help walk you through it if needed.
tgivaughn
AG
We had one and when cats died from old age, sent to daughter & cat who loved it.

It was not fun to clean and really much worse than our near perfect RICCAR from SEW VAC CITY College Station. So we replaced it with a MIELE = to RICCAR, none better than these.

Thought might be to take this mess to SEW VAC CITY for repairs/estimate and perhaps entertain a trade-in deal trade for the better makes.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
We have my Mother's Kirby and it is at least, 70 years old. That thing is so simply made I can replace most of the parts! It still works

We bought our own Kirby complete set in 1982 and it was nearly worthless and weighed a ton to push/pull.

Bought a couple of Dirt Devil, Kenmore, Hoover cheaper versions and then Dyson Animal....love the Dyson but hate it's straight cord that tangles easily.

I would likely go with Dirt Devil and use if a couple years and then buy another.
agcivengineer
AG
We have a dyson dc23 and a kirby. I love them both for different reasons. The dyson is phenomenal on hard floors, kirby is amazing on carpet. We got a great deal on the kirby as we bought it used from a friend. You should definitely learn how to inspect any mechanical piece of equipment and learn how to do basic maintenance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.