Frigidaire Water Dispenser - broke

1,080 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just stopped dispensing water randomly, out of the blue.

Ice maker works fine.

I changed out the filter twice (non-OEM).

Water makes it to the filter, because when I have the filter removed and depress the water dispenser "button" water shoots out of the filter housing from a port there, as it should.

However, when I put the filter in and screw the filter cover with o-ring on over it, then depress the water "button" I can hear water filling up the cover and filter but no water comes from the dispenser outlet on the door.

Any other troubleshooting tips for me? Could it be the hose is clogged between the filter and door outlet? How do I unclog?

Thanks...
agrams
AG
most likely the hose has frozen in the door. I had a fridge that did that relentlessly. Only way on our GE unit to fix it was to open up and let the door warm up to thaw it. Some have heating elements on the lines to prevent this, but that would be model specific. It is a PITA.
Gary79Ag
AG
Contact the on-line appliance repair experts at AppliancePartsPros. They'll provide you with details to troubleshoot your issue. Chat link at the top left of their website below...

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/repair-help/refrigerator-repair-help.html

CapeAggie89
AG
I had the same problem on my GE frig, I first check the frozen line issue but that was not it. Next thing to check is the solenoid to see if they are working or not.. I pulled the unit away from the wall and removed the panel away from the compressor and tubing. Found water on the floor. The plastic tubing had dried out and cracked due to the heat of being right next to the compressor. Of course it is not a standard size tubing you can find at a hardware store, no way! I went to an appliance repair place and got some tubing and connector out of an salvage unit for $5. I cut back the dried tubing and added new tubing and put it back together, success ! There is also a nylon heat shield that needs to go over the tubing. Other than the time spent tracking down the tubing it was a fairly easy fix.

Good luck !
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So, after the tubing goes to the filter inside the fridge, it routes back to the backside of the fridge behind the cover plate?
Roc96
AG
I had trouble with my Frigidaire. In CS, Buddy's Appliance wasn't even able to help me find parts for it. It's evidently a Canadian company, and for some reason parts go obsolete rather quickly.
AgFan247
AG
Good luck, when mine actually stopped it was the pump in the door for the door water dispenser. Replaced and worked fine. Hopefully its something simple for you too.

After I fixed that through, 2 months later the water reservoir for the door dispenser cracked..no replacement available anymore, replaced with a coil of hose and adapters (decreased volume of cold water, sad). Then the hoses on the back started leaking as well, replaced with the extra hose I still had a 2 new adapters and all is well again. I'm hoping I can limp this fridge in until a great sale on an appliance set and just replace the fridge, oven, microwave and dishwasher.
CapeAggie89
AG
Yes, on my model the tubing routed to the filter then back down to the compressor area and then two lines led from there, one to the water dispenser and then another one to the ice maker. That way filtered water is going to both areas. I had three solenoids in the compressor area. I have seen some on the internet that only had two. So not sure if you have the exact same or not
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Thanks! Time to pop the trunk on the fridge then I suppose!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.