Termites

4,262 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our pest control company found termites at our house. It is a single tube at a location in the back of the house. Their proposal was to do the trench thing around the house, drill holes in driveway to treat where it goes in the garage, and to treat the plumbing penetrations in the house which included putting holes in several walls. The quote seemed reasonable, but I would prefer not having the holes everywhere

I asked the guy if the could only treat the back of the house where the single tube was located. He said it would probably be fine, but his company only does the full treatment.

Thoughts?
YellAg2004
AG
I don't have much experience with termites, but is there some guarantee/warranty attached to their service? That may be the reason that they won't do a partial treatment.

If you don't like what they're offering/forcing you to take, make a few more calls and get 2nd and 3rd opinions/quotes.
AgResearch
AG
Waste of time unless you do the full barrier treatment.
lightningcat12
My advice would be to do a spot treatment using Termidor. Keep an eye on areas in your house around plumbing penetrations in the future and treat those later if needed. It will take years of termites to cause any legitimate damage, so don't worry about that.

Full barrier treatment would be more thorough, and get you a warranty, but it does stink to have to drill the plumbing penetrations.
Texas Ag Mom
We built our home 20 yrs ago (DFW). We had our lot treated during construction. The following spring we had some small termite swarming in a small bath by the garage door. The guy came out & drilled into the floor in a couple of places & treated. He said when they were laying plumbing lines they could have disturbed his barrier. The next spring we had a very very small amount in the same bath. He drilled another couple holes on the other side of the wall where he had previously drilled. Never had any or problems after that. We just replaced our fence & we saw some termite damage to it & some to a shed in the backyard. All of this to say- the treatment seems like it might be a bit much. If it were me I would focus on the area where you know you have a problem. That might be all you need. My neighbors once had a termite treatment done & they company did a lot of damage to the interior of their house & it cost them a fortune. I think this is an area where home owners often get scammed so buyer beware. One thing to remember is that we all have termites living under ground, it is just a matter of if/when you have a problem & how bad the problem is. Good luck!
fourth deck
AG
There is a termidor foam designed for spot treatment you can get on amazon among others. FWIW I had our previous owner do a barrier treatment before we closed on our house (inspector noticed an old tube in the garage) and put in sentricon a year after moving in. I can see where they had to drill around the garage and would prefer to never do that again along with trenching around the house. But I also have a crawlspace foundation and can more easily spot mud tubes leading up from the ground.
water turkey
I saw termites swarming today in the back yard. Just coming out of the ground. Calling exterminator tomorrow.
BrazosDog02
AG
water turkey said:

I saw termites swarming today in the back yard. Just coming out of the ground. Calling exterminator tomorrow.

Don't panic. That's where termites live....In the ground. As long as they aren't in your house ..... No problems. Termites coming out of the groups are no cause for anything except a good look for mudtubes on your house.

OP...Let them do the full treatment. The holes they drill in your walls are tiny 3/8 holes or so that they foam termidor between the stud bays. It's a tiny hole that they will close up with caulk....It's the only way to kill them. THen barrier treat to finish the job and prevent future termite issues.

Don't spot treat jack ***** Termites call for full treatment and scorched Earth mentality. My termites showed up through the drywall in the center beam in my house. No other signs. **** those things....I caught them early and had treated.
Gary79Ag
AG
Bought one of our houses via foreclosure back in 2006...first thing I noticed was that it was treated for termites. During the rennovation of the hall bathroom I discovered the entry point. When the foundation was poured, the guys left one of the 1x4 forms in the drain cutout area under the tub. Had we not doe the renno and we didn't follow up donw the road with termite treatments, no telling how bad it would have gotten over time. I did have to replace several studs in the adjacent wall as they were destroyed by the initial termite damage.
SPF250
AG
There are two types of houses - those that have termites and those that are going to get termites. Treat the full house.
cr0wbar
AG
Just bought a new town home in Rosenberg December 2016. Just got a notice from a Massey Services in Stafford for 'Subterranean Termite Protection" for $180. Any thoughts on that service or the company?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
OP, where are you located?
Guitarsoup
AG
I got hit by these buggers

MrJonMan coming out to my house Thursday.
Aggie Rick
AG
They always try to sell you the whole house treatment for the cash grab. Find someone who will spot treat.

Had dry wood termites in my Heights house and paid $200 to spot treat instead of 4K for whole house and never another problem.
oldarmy76
I'm in Georgetown.
MrJonMan
AG
No reason you can't spot treat just that area. We offer that or the whole home, usually it comes down to money and if the person has or wants to spend it. It's cheaper to treat the whole thing rather than spot treat area by area until the whole home is done.

Termidor or Termidor HE is the way to go.

We treat bath traps but only when accessible, as I don't want a hole cut in my wall so totally understand if the customer doesn't either. We still warranty the bath trap even if not treated, when doing a whole home service.
Caesar4
AG
Any suggestions on a reputable person/company to use for termite treatment in north Round Rock area?
Diggity
AG
I just found a swarm of these in my driveway and garage. Flew all over me as I was trying to take a pic.

This guy a drywood termite?

sleepybeagle
AG
San_Antonio
I agree with full service work instead of spot treatment, to prevent further issues. I would recommend Preston Pest Control. http://www.preston-pest-control.com/
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Because of my flood and evidence of past or present termite infestation I'm replacing wood damaged followed by subterranean treatment including drilling the slab, the treating every exposed wood product up to 8 feet since I'm currently gutted. Should have a dead zone in my walls for years to come
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.