Wall TV Mount

1,256 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the process of mounting a 32" TV into a bedroom wall. What was included with the bracket are mounting BOLTS. I've used 3" SCREWS in the past for similar applications and feel they would work fine here.

Keeping in mind that I (or a future owner) might put a larger screen, should I just stay with the bolts or go with the screws? My hesitation with the bolts is that they will put a fairly good sized hole in the wall studs. Yes, they can be patched and painted but they're still there.

Advise??
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Unless you have a particularly oversized or adjustable mount, one that works with a 32" (probably 100x100mm) likely won't work with a much bigger tv.

That said, 4 3" wood screws would probably hold any tv, but I'd feel much better about using lag bolts, pre drilled.
civilized05
AG
Never used bolts personally, as I've always used the supplied lag screws. Could you get away with 3" wood screws, probably, but why chance it?

A 1/4" or 3/8" lag screw hole is just as easy to patch up as a smaller wood screw hole. Chances are the mount will rip off some drywall when you take it off so the size of the screw hole won't be as big an issue as having to repair and resurface the sheet rock.

Col. Steve Austin
AG
Use the lag bolts.
InMyOpinion
HumbleAg said:

Use the lag bolts.
Agree
CapCity12thMan
AG
I would use lag bolts, primarily because that is what the product shipped with and was likely tested with. Second, how are lag bolts worse than screws with regard to patching/painting...to me that is so negligible in level of effort.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

how are lag bolts worse than screws with regard to patching/painting...to me that is so negligible in level of effort.

Never suggested it was harder to patch. What I said was that the holes caused by the bolts are still in the studs when the bolts are removed.
Swede
AG
Most mounts come with some kind of warranty that wouldn't include coverage without using the proper hardware. May not be a big deal on a 32" tv, but if the things falls or gets pulled off the wall, you at least have some recourse with the manufacturer that way.
YellAg2004
AG
The holes left in the studs should the bolts ever be removed won't do anything to structurally compromise the wall.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Never suggested it was harder to patch. What I said was that the holes caused by the bolts are still in the studs when the bolts are removed.

ah, got it

Quote:

The holes left in the studs should the bolts ever be removed won't do anything to structurally compromise the wall.
Agreed. If the holes really bother you, go buy some wooden dowels, put wood glue on them and hammer them in after you take the bolts out. Its completely unnecessary to do this, but just an option for you.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.