Tipping point $ wise in removing existing drywall vs working around in heavy reno?

1,704 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brad_97
Brad_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to be doing an extensive renovation to include new electrical, some removal of non-bearing walls, popcorn removal, some new plumbing, drywall repairs at water damage / structure movement.

Wondering where the tipping point is between trying to keep much of the existing drywall for cost savings, vs removing it all and creating more efficiency for my plumber (2 story house) and electrician (new panel, all new wiring to replace AL wire) and hoping that efficiency helps cover my added sheetrock costs vs just patching around the work and existing damage.

Mainly thinking about ceilings (which are popcorn and very well may be painted popcorn - which I hear makes nearly impossible to just scrape) and exterior walls (to upgrade insulation). Property is a late 60s build.

Any past experiences on which way folks went with renovations and lessons learned?

Leaning towards just removing it all and starting fresh. Project is getting a new kitchen, new bathroom, finishes, etc. Next is turning the carport into a garage with garage apartment assuming the City will let me. Garage apartment...now why does that sound familiar....
Aggietaco
AG
As deep as you're going into this renno, I would at least demo 1 side of each interior wall. Added benefits besides efficiencies for your contractors are to add insulation between rooms, address low/lacking exterior insulation, allow for better final finish, option for soundproofing, option for air sealing exterior, etc.

Then again, if budget is tight it becomes a difficult decision, but drywall, tape, and float are relatively cheap in the building game (and things you can do yourself if you so choose).
toolshed
AG
Sounds like you're at the point of a full gut to the studs. Heavy texture is hard to float, so ceilings should probably come down. If you are re wiring and adding insulation, it's easier to just hang new drywall and get a good even float and texture vs floating patches and joints everywhere.

On the remodels we do, I try to save some of it and they installers wind up ripping it out anyway to make their life easier cutting, installing and floating. It's probably a wash in new materials vs extra labor and headache to work around existing.
The Fife
Do people still do texture on the walls over there? Maybe it's a regional thing with the flat walls, but I haven't seen it in a while now.
Brad_97
AG
I'm still seeing texture everywhere but my personal preference is certainly smooth walls tho I don't love the premium for a level 5 finish wall.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

things you can do yourself

I strongly recommend AGAINST doing drywall yourself UNLESS it is an area that is going to be covered up -- closet, utility/wash room, etc. If your room isn't square (and most aren't), it will be a huge mess whereas the drywall guys know how to overcome all that.
Satellite of Love
Square or not, with some help it isn't difficult to hang drywall. I did my workshop myself. Only challenge are the corners.
Aggiemike96
AG
From experience, once you pull drywall down expect to find some surprises.
Gary79Ag
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

From experience, once you pull drywall down expect to find some surprises.
Yep, been there done that. Amazing what's hidden in the walls...

Like someone that's done electric wiring and decided to make connections within the walls instead of in a junction box like it should have been done, etc...
YellAg2004
AG
Your situation sounds very similar to ours. We started out with the intention of taking all the drywall down on a handful of walls where plumbing needed to run, but the rest of the walls and 1st floor ceiling would stay with the electrician cutting holes as necessary to replace the AL wiring and put new lights & plugs where we wanted. After all the electrical and plumbing was complete, the drywall guys that came by to give us quotes told us that with as many holes as we had to patch, it would be faster, cheaper, and would give a better finished product to just take the rest of the drywall down and start fresh. So 6 months into the remodel, we were back to ripping down drywall.

Ultimately, I'm glad we did as the new drywall finish everywhere is smooth and even. However, I wish we would have made that decision at the beginning of the job as it likely would have saved us a good chunk of time (and $$) from the electrician being able to work from a "new work" condition vs. cutting holes and fishing wire all over the place. Live and learn I suppose.

Drywall is fairly cheap, and depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, you're always going to be able to tell where the patches are. Other people may not notice, but you'll always be able to see them at least a little. Also consider that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing situation. In our master bedroom we took down half the ceiling to get new wiring and structural beams in. So now half the ceiling is new, half is old. This way, instead of the drywall guys having to patch and match texture on 5 different patches, they only had to match/blend the texture at the new/old interface. The result turned out much better.

We did find one disaster in the walls. We live in a town home-style condo, with shared walls on either side. The previous owner owned our unit and the one next to it. In doing all the new wiring, we discovered that at some point he had an interior door installed between the two units. While that was weird, the bad part was that whoever installed the framing & door cut through an electrical line and proceeded to patch & re-route it up and over the door frame using a piece of orange extension cord, with the splices held together at each end with electrical tape. They didn't even use wire nuts. This was all buried behind the drywall. I don't know how it didn't start a fire and burn the place down as the electrical tape and wire jacket on both the AL romex and the orange copper extension cord were singed.
jtp01
AG
Were it me, I would tear out and restart. Bottom line is you will always be able to see the patches and it will bother you.

The added time for electricians to work around it is expensive and the time for a drywall crew to come in and knock it out is likely cheaper and you will have full confidence that what is beneath the drywall is done correct.
Dr. Doctor
AG
A suggestion to aid in your decision would be to ask an electrician or plumber to quote 2 times: once for no access (leaving drywall up) and full access (ripping down drywall). I would assume a price difference due to time and that would help.

I could see saving a bit of time which should translate into job savings. Compare the savings to a drywall crew for X square feet.

~egon
Swede
AG
Doing the same right now. Heavy remodel of a60s house. We pulled most of the drywall and insulation out of the bottom floor. Electrician and plumber have told us it will be a lot easier (cheaper) for them to do their work this way, and in the long run we'll probably save money by the time we put drywall back up.

It also uncovered some issues we never would have known about, which ultimately we're glad we can fix now. Just be prepare to find some interesting work done in old houses.
Aggiemike96
AG
I will also add (even though I suggested above that you'll find surprises) to rip it all out. While you have it down, be prepared to do anything else you can imagine. For example, run speaker/HDMI/ethernet wire or add new outlet boxes. You can stage surround sound wiring and put in the outlets for a wall-mounted TV. If you're a fan of recessed lighting, wire that too. Don't get too crazy, but some things you may appreciate later.
Brad_97
AG
Thanks all. Sounds like I'll def take down one side of all walls and all ceilings and go from there pending textures. Will report back on any interesting wall finds as I'm sure there will be something. Hoping I can't top the electrical cord splice though. Yikes that's bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.