Patio Addition

1,848 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lonestar_Ag09
BadAzzBohemian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Know someone who wants to build their own covered patio.

There would be a slab, columns and the roof would tie into the back of the existing house.

This person had a decent goby and hand sketched some plans.

The HOA approved it on the condition the City of Katy approved them. The City of Katy has made 3 reviews and has stopped short of approving them unless they are "signed off by a structural engineer".

I am a PE in the state of Texas, but my area of expertise is electrical.

I am wondering if an individual has had experience trying to get their own sketches past a local government entity?

This addition does not require a structural PE by State of Texas rules, but the city would require a permit, plan review and inspection. The website says the knowledgeable city inspectors will step the homeowner through everything, but I am not seeing the requirement for a third party to "sign off" on it.

I suppose the City of Katy doesn't want to accept responsibility and isn't comfortable with what has been submitted.

Had the homeowner hired a licensed architect to do the plans would a PE be required to stamp the patio slab (foundation) as well as review and stamp any spans in excess of 24 ft)?

Would a structural PE actually stamp a customer sketch if it was detailed enough? As a PE myself, I believe I would stamp electrical drawings if they had the proper information and a revision level.

jtp01
AG
When it comes to having an "roof" the local authorities want to see the PE stamp. I'm sure if your friend would reach out to a small independent firm, they could review his sketches, run some calculations and deliver him a stamped rendering that will be approved. This shouldn't cost too much given the volume of engineers in the Houston area.
TexAg1987
I am sure this is also driven by the fact you are tying back to the house. Free standing structures are treated differently in most codes.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Thanks for the responses. Agreed.

Having seen a bit more about what they are trying to do... it is really going to take a decent set of plans stamped by a PE to confirm foundations, tie points to the house and a quick look at spans.

The drawings aren't near detailed enough.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
BadAzz....they usually arent and that is why cities put that kind of requirement on their permit processes. Companies that complete detailed plans and have the experience to do it right usually dont have any issues meeting these minimum permit requirements.

If he was on the South side it would be a WHOLE nother story, thats when you start getting into some very stupid regulations and over engineering and all of that followed by wind certificates and inspections.

On another note, what are does he live in. City of Katy has a very limited reach as most of "Katy" addresses only fall under County jurisdiction.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
This appears to be in old Katy north of 10 near Ave D and Morton.

I may step them through the plans and what is required if they want to act as the architect. But I doubt they are getting out of having to get a structural PE stamp it... nor should they.

I do think think this is a case of overreach by the city. When I first posted, I thought this was a patio with no cover or roof tie in.

Thanks for the responses.
tgivaughn
AG
This is NOT what your friend wants to hear BUT
last time I went out to build DIY a a) shed and b) roofed pergola
found that the materials costs more than one pre-built/delivered.

If my friend, would send him to
LAWN MASTER
877-553-9931
or at least get a catalogue
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lawn Master does not solid build solid roof patio structures ATTACHED to an existing roof structure. They will build a pavilion adjacent to the home but not attached. The only option they can offer is a flat roof with a single pitch away from the home with a metal or polycarbonate roof attached the the home
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.