How much should it cost to get rid of the circle texture in this ceiling?

1,512 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Just put an offer on this house and am trying to figure out what to tackle first (older home obviously). Walking into this living room almost makes me dizzy because of the circles. Some have said it can be sanded down pretty easily without going into the sheetrock, and others have said if I want to get rid of that circle duct and do some duct work I'm probably looking at new sheetrock anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts and ideas about what I might be looking at.
YellAg2004
AG
Depending on how heavy that texture is and how big the room is, I would look into re-floating the ceiling with a skim coat of mud before I would try to sand it down smooth. If you did that, you could cut/patch at the circle duct and float it all back to smooth before going back with a new stomp.
The Fife
Your house must be stocker proof, because a GIS for that image yielded no results.
bthotugigem05
AG
Just listed yesterday, probably the reason. http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8521-Stillwater-Dr_Dallas_TX_75243_M78309-67945#photo4
toolshed
AG
Why change the round register? They work great, distribute the air in all directions and are generally quieter than the newer stamped registers.

Even if you changed it, why would you need new Sheetrock? Is there attic above or they'd have to get access from the living room?

Personally, I'd skim coat it smooth, then texture it. Much less dust than sanding it down. Sheetrock dust is terrible on wood floors, gets into every nook and cranny and difficult to remove.
bthotugigem05
AG
Good feedback, much appreciated. The circle duct is right where I want to put a ceiling fan, I'd rather put in some wall vents but I haven't had anyone take a look at it yet (my first home purchasing experience so I'm flying a bit blind).
txag2008
AG
If that's you're reason for wanting to get rid of the register, you could always put in a ceiling medallion like something below and then install the fan to some joist blocking up above.

I'm not sure why'd you'd want to go through a lot of work to install wall vents.
bthotugigem05
AG
Roger that, thanks all, some really good advice.
bthotugigem05
AG
How much do you think to skim coat it and texture it?
YellAg2004
AG
Ballpark I would say around $250-500 depending on how heavy the existing texture is. If they have to spend half a day sanding down the thick parts of the old texture before they can skim it, it'll be closer to the $500. I think it would be hard to find someone to come out for less than that, just due to the small scope of the job. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 days to skim and re-texture.
toolshed
AG
From the photo it's hard to tell, but if you put the fan where the register is, doesn't that put it really off center of the space? Again, hard to tell from the perspective.

I wouldn't do wall registers. Way more work in framing and ductwork. Do you have attic access or no? I'd either do three way vents on one side of the room blowing across the room, or four way vents more centered in the space. A good HVAC contractor should be able to give you the ideal location for the space, considering exterior walls, windows, seating, etc.. The nice thing about the round registers is that you get less of an air current or a strong draft under the registers, I think they more evenly distribute the air. The stamped style seem to be more directional and you'd defiantly feel the current when the system kicks on.

We have a 60 year old house with round registers. I initially wanted to change them because I am more familiar with them he stamped, but my HVAC contractor convinced me to keep them, and I'm happy I did. These no real noise that comes from them and with two in our living area, you don't really notice when they do kick on regarding drafts.

In my opinion, converting to wall registers would be a large expense with no real return on investment or advantage in airflow.
toolshed
AG
I'd figure a little more, closer to $500, maybe less. It's going to take a couple trips because of dry time to get it skimmed, floated and textured. But get a couple bids, pricing can vary a bit. But I'd be careful with the cheapest bid, make certain he can give you a good smooth flat coat to texture from. And paint the ceiling flat. Otherwise you are going to see the undulations in the ceiling from a bad float job.

My guys would put an initial skim coat, let that dry a day, come back and skim it to level it out, let that dry. Second coat will dry quicker. Then the last trip would be to texture. Even with quickset, it's going to take a bit to dry.
DadAG10
Sorry, but I think it's a classic look and wouldn't change it.
coyote68
If it is painted, it is less expensive to remove Sheetrock and start over. If not painted, it is fairly easy.
The Fife
I'm with toolshed about the registers. Lots of work floor zero gain. About the texture, there's zero remaining from when the house was new (didn't bother to check hardwood) so from a design standpoint it's neither here nor there IMO. One room though instead of the entire place, so I'm guessing $1,000 to have someone take care of it. It'll be a higher $/sqft because there aren't a lot of square feet to the job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.