Recommendations for a good affordable table saw

1,881 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JDCAG (NOT Colin)
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a table saw but nothing fancy. Is there anything under $250 that yall would recommend? I need something where the height of the blade is adjustable because I need to rip a groove in something. Thanks.
Whitetail
AG
Like this for $299? $49 more than $250 but it's a good saw:

DEWALT DW745 10-Inch Compact Job-Site Table Saw with 20-Inch Max Rip Capacity - 120V

Link: http://a.co/dvEHW9D

I have the DW745 and really like it, but you are limited to 20 inches without modifying it.
JP76
This is okay but width is limited

https://m.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-15-Amp-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Table-Saw/1000049619

If you plan on keeping it a long time I would spend a little more and get a dewalt

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Keep in mind, most of the smaller portable saws aren't going to be able to take a dado blade so for ripping a groove you'll need to do multiple passes if the groove is thicker than the kerf of the blade.

I had a dwe7480 that I sold to another TexAgs member a few months ago and it did me very well for a few years until I was ready to move up to a hybrid saw. It's a little out of your budget, but may be worth looking at.
UnderoosAg
AG
I looked all over at table saws a few months back - Sears, HAD, Lowe's, Harbor Freight, etc. After reading reviews and kicking tires, I quickly came to the conclusion that there are four levels.
1. The basic $150 Skill, Rigid, Craftsman, etc., that will cut, usually straight.
2. Compact jobsite saws for about $300ish
3. $500+ "real" table saws - lower end Delta, Bigger Rigid
4. Cabinet saws for when you start hosting your own tv show.

My brother has a$150 Skill. It cuts.
My dad has an older $250 Craftsman. He absolutely hates the fence. With good reason, it sucks.
I looked hard at the Dewalt 745. I bought the next one up, DWE7485?, because it will rip up to 24". The table is small, but I'm building a sled for it, and I'm adding an extension to the table it sits on.

It you want to make something other than sawdust, try one of the DeWalts.
eeaggie11
AG
If you aren't looking for a portable job site saw, look on Craigslist and try finding a 1980s or later saw. You can find a great deal at $200 that just needs rust knocked off of it.
bdgol07
AG
What about a router with a fence? If you're only needing to rip a groove, that might be a cheaper solution
mustang6tee8
AG
Just get a cheap router with a good bit and clamp a straight edge to the work.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Last 2 suggestions are good ones - for doing the grooves, it may be easier to "take the tool to the work" which you can't really do with a table saw. Depending on how big the groove needs to be you could get a $100 trim router and a good long straight edge with some clamps and get the job done. Get a good bit to do the cutting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.