What kind of hurried cable is this?

2,287 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chap
edwardsk2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://goo.gl/photos/dW5rfS3uxjq4TBWR8
UnderoosAg
AG
the end looks like a shiny blur in the pic. Is it a bunch of individual bare wires, or a bunch of tiny individual insulated wires, or something else? Markings on it? Where did you find it?

It doesn't look like its flopping over much, and almost looks like it kept the smashed/cut shape. At first glance, it looks like an Aluminum power type cable somebody cut with bolt cutters.

edwardsk2003
AG
It's thick... White inside black outside...

I was digging up a stump in our backyard... 2-3" down.....Not deep..

"I found it......."

We have Verizon and Uverse.... Both...Could it be a fiber cable?
akaggie05
AG
Looks like thick coax (RG-11 or similar). Outer black sheath, inner foam core, probably some foil or mesh shielding sandwiched between the layers, and I think I can barely make out the inner conductor.

If that's what it is, it's not likely for your U-verse or Verizon service. 9 times out of 10 U-verse is delivered over twisted pair (VDSL) and I'm assuming your Verizon service is regular POTS (also twisted pair). If FIOS, then you'll have fiber to a transceiver box on your house. This is likely left over from old cable service to your house.
edwardsk2003
AG
It was ridiculously shallow..... :/

Our cable Internet is still on...

I've never seen coax like that.... But who knows.
akaggie05
AG
You have Verizon, U-verse, and cable internet all active? If it's just thicker than what you're used to seeing that's understandable (FIFY protected). RG-11 (and even thicker hardline stuff) is used extensively in outdoor plant and building drops, depending on run length. RG-6 like you use inside is no bueno for long service drops (especially now that many cable systems are running at 1 GHz) and is typically frowned upon now. It may be cable that was abandoned in place from earlier service, and the install tech said eff it and ran new line at another point in time when service was re-established.
edwardsk2003
AG
Nah... We only have cable internet active.... I just meant we have Uverse and Verizon as providers in our neighborhood.

I'm 99.9% sure it's not Verizon...As that runs out by the street... Cable and Uverse (AT&T) come in thru the back......

I'm hoping it's just an old cable....
TexAg1987
Could be old cable TV cable. My experience is when they hook up a new service they run it in top of the ground to get you going then another crew comes and buries it. Usually by sticking a shovel in the ground to make a crack and they shove the wire down in. Unless they beat the sod layers, then they just sod over it. If it gets cut, they do it again.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd say that if you got coax buried 3" deep you had a crew that really gave 30%. Most don't get quite that deep. They got a lotta quit in em.

If you want a more definitive answer, get your dikes and clean cut that cable end, out a ruler next to it and take a new pic. It looks like coax to me but I can't tell how big around it is.
edwardsk2003
AG
Well I've got two charter trucks outside my neighbor and my neighbors neighbor...

It's a coaxial "feeder" or trunk....

I basically screwed everyone down the line who is on charter...

The issue was the trunk grew under the line....And raised it. Charter guys said the same... It was 4-5" higher than it should have been.....

They are running the repaired line UNDER the root...This time to maintain proper depth...
AgResearch
AG
Agmechanic
AG
You're lucky it was that low. Most cable companies throw them on the ground and kick dirt on top.
JFrench
AG
Did they run a temporary line? If so, that'll be prox 6 months to never before they bury it.
chap
AG
In new developments I have seen them lay the cable on the ground and then let the landscapers lay their sod right in top of it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.