Self propelled lawnmower recommendation?

1,931 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MrPlow2010
TexAg1987
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sister in law looking to purchase a new self propelled lawnmower.

Needs to be easy start and easy to maintain.

Mowing two small residential lots (hers and her mother next door)

Any help is appreciated. TIA.
Aggielandma12
AG
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Honda-Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643
TexAg1987
I was looking at that one. You have it and like it?
Aggielandma12
AG
I bought a very similar model in 2008. Never had an issue and always starts with one or two pulls.
pnut02
AG
+1 for Honda
DeBoss
AG
Honda and never look back.
Gary79Ag
AG
DeBoss said:

Honda and never look back.
Yep, once you go Honda, you'll never go back!
Vernada
AG
Bought a Toro Personal Pace in 2006 and it's still going strong with very subpar maintenance performed.
Leeman
Vernada said:

Bought a Toro Personal Pace in 2006 and it's still going strong with very subpar maintenance performed.
Ditto here. Started it up for the first time in 3 years last weekend and ran like a champ !
dsvogel05
AG
Just bought a Toro Personal Pace because I didn't care for the drive controls on the Honda. Impressed with the Toro so far, but it's only been used once.
EMY92
AG
Vernada said:

I have a slightly older Toro Personal Pace, my sister got one last year. I wouldn't trade the newer one for mine. I didn't like it when I tried using hers. I didn't like the sliding handle.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I had the personal pace and absolutely loved it. Never had a problem, started immediately every time.

I gave it to my father and bought a Honda to see what all the fuss was about.

The Honda runs awesomely and is very powerful compared to the Toro. But I really dislike the variable speed propel control.

The Toro's variable speed self propel is genius. I really wish I would have kept it. I'm sure the Honda will still be running in twenty years when I decide to buy my next mower, though.
TexAg1987
Thanks everyone!
aggiegold
AG
Honda is the only way to go
Birddog
AG
Toro personal pace, have owned two. Motor and starting were great, no problems at all. The under deck mulching shrouds and self propel drive system did fall apart on both. Had a great running motor, but it was useless, my grass was way to thick and the mower too heavy to use strictly as a push mower.

Current mower is a Honda, going into season two it works great so far.
rebel06
AG
I'm using a Toro that my dad bought nearly 20 years ago. It cranks after the 2nd or 3rd pull and has a Honda engine so I'd see if any Toro's are on the market with a Honda engine.
DeBoss
AG
Toro deck with a Honda motor, best of both worlds I guess.
bco2003
AG
I inherited my grandfather's Honda hrx215 and it's currently 25 years old. Basically still running, needs a tune-up. I wanted a mulcher though, so just bought a hrx217, and look forward to using it another 25+ years.
Matt_s
AG
HRRVKA is a solid mower and would easily do what she wants. If she is looking at bagging, I normally recommend the HRRVYA with Roto-Stop, because you can stop and empty the bag without having to stop/recrank the engine.

If you're located in the West Houston area and you're interested in a Honda mower shoot me an email (in profile). I'm a sales rep for Honda (and Deere, Stihl, Echo, etc.). I have a ton of Honda mowers here and will get one set up, fueled up and ready to go. I'm out in Katy.

Mattressburn
AG
Another +1 for Honda

My dad has had one in Houston since 1990 has never had anything major repaired. Even lived through my teenage days of "I hate mowing lets see what this can run over".
MrPlow2010
AG
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Tb240-160cc-21-in-Self-Propelled-Front-Wheel-Drive-Residential-Gas-Push-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capable-with-Honda-Engine/50328177

I've been very happy with this. Has a Honda engine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.