Carpet Pad Staple Removal

1,094 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DallasAggies01
DallasAggies01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know of a more efficient/easier way of removing staple from your subfloor. Other than on your hands and knees with pliers or some other tool?
Long Live Sully
AG
Get one of these floor scrappers

DallasAggies01
AG
Got one. Wasn't sure how well it would work with staples though. The demo starts next weekend just trying to think of possible needs prior to starting.
Long Live Sully
AG
If you catch the staple in the middle they work. If not you slide over it. I have just used a narrow blade screwdriver and popped them up. Easier motion than with pliers. It stinks but I don't know of any other alternatives.

What is going on the floor? You can always just hammer them down.
DallasAggies01
AG
Laying hardi and tile over them. We're doing the demo he's doing the remodel since we are live 1500 miles away. He said the staples would need to be removed.

Appreciate the input. Not looking forward to removing 1000 sq ft of staples.
YellAg2004
AG
If you're screwing down hardi board to the existing subfloor, I have no idea why you would need to remove the staples.
Long Live Sully
AG
Yeah... weird request
DallasAggies01
AG
Seems strange to me too. Going to clarify with him in person next week. He may have mis understood what I meant over the phone.
YellAg2004
AG
Make sure he wasn't talking about the carpet tack strips. Those will definitely have to come up, as well as any nails holding them down (or you could drive those down into the sub-floor as well).
DallasAggies01
AG
Today I thought that's what he may have meant. I will definitely be removing those.
DallasAggies01
AG
Update: the floor scraper like cow hop suggested worked. At least the kind with a razor blade for the tip. Took about 10 minutes as opposed to hours on my knees with pliers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.