What's wrong with my windows..

1,814 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgEngineer72
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And how do I get this off?

I've tried everything . Newspaper and ammonia, windex, easy off, CLR and scrub pad.... nothing works.. is it sun damage to the glass??
will.mcg
AG
It doesn't look like tinting peeling off. It looks like water spots. They're cause by minerals in the water. Do you have a sprinkler hitting the widow or have you ever hit it with the hose?

Use "0000 steel wool" to get it crystal clear. It must be 0000, if you use any high size it will scratch the windows.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Sprinklers don't hit these windows, they are under the porch cover... perhaps the mist is coming in is all. It's on all of our exterior windows in our backyard. 3 are hit by sprinklers, but not this one. I'll try the 0000 steel wool and some more CLR. I'm worried it's just they are cheap builders grade windows and just need to be replaced..morning to late morning and early afternoon sun is pretty much constant on these.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Can you feel it under you fingers when you run your hand over the glass?

I presume these are double pane coated windows. Is there any difference in tint or color through that window? It usually doesn't make it through punch, but occasionally windows do get built backwards with the low-e coating on the wrong side. Right or wrong, could the coating be coming off?

Is this the only pane where this happens?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Can you feel it under you fingers when you run your hand over the glass?

no. I've run finngers across outside and inside pane. Can't feel it.

Quote:

I presume these are double pane coated windows. Is there any difference in tint or color through that window?

yes they are double panes, but I don't notice much of a difference in tint or light.

Quote:

It usually doesn't make it through punch, but occasionally windows do get built backwards with the low-e coating on the wrong side. Right or wrong, could the coating be coming off?

Is this the only pane where this happens?

No. We have 8 window panes. All 6 of the pane son the back show the same discoloration.

Here's another pic:

You can see a smear/smudge in middle of frame. Rest of it is coral colored dots. When looking at it from close up/side it appears to be on inside between panes.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I think it's the coating coming off of the inside of the glass. It's possibly an indication that the seal between the two pieces, I think it's Argon inside there, has failed.

Odd though if this is occurring on multiple windows. Usually those failures are a one off type thing, at least my experience.

I'm still open to others thoughts....
Pale Rider
AG
That was going to be my guess. Seal went out and moisture got in between the glass. I bet that it - I've seen this before and assumed it's common with old and/or cheap windows.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Wouldn't surprise me in the least with some of the quality of materials we've found in this home since purchase. Wife bought home new in '06 before we were married... I've already replaced HVAC, ceiling fans, exterior doors, increased attic insulation, re-caulked all exterior joints, repainted exterior due to chipping peeling, replaced closet lighting, remodeled kitchen and master bath and installed new carpet... looks like replacing windows is in the future too...
Mookie
AG
Use distilled water and a clay bar from an auto parts store.
bb2003
AG
Look on the latches and see if there is a manufacturer noted. Some of the builder grade windows have a 10 yr warranty on the seals/LowE film, etc. labor is generally not included though.

didnt see the 06 purchase comment, guess that wouldn't apply. The glass only can always be replaced. should be cheaper than replacement windows. Price out reglazing them.
AgEngineer72
AG
In my experience the coral color you described is what failing tinting looks like. From your pictures the windows appear to have lost their seal. Despite another poster's thoughts it's not uncommon for several windows to fail in the same manner in the same time frame. All are same brand likely manufactured in the same run.
Jill
AG
It's definitely the seal. We have two windows with this exact thing on them and both of them when inspected when we bought the house were found to have leaks.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thx. That's all I can figure it is. I have some other priority fixes I want to attend to first and will start looking at windows in next few years...
AgEngineer72
AG
If the windows are 11-12 years old I would check into possible manufacturer's warranty. Probably a builder's grade/ model with little or no warranty but worth some internet plinking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.