Window Treatments - Cellular Shades

1,336 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txaggie_2011
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife is wanting to pull the trigger on top-down cellular shades for the house (new house with currently no window treatments). I believe they are double sided so possibly some energy efficiencies are to be had? I believe to get the whole house done we're looking at about 13 windows done coming in at about $2,200 on Blinds.com

Any pros or cons with these kind of shades? I've only ever had the standard 2" faux blinds.

Any other online suppliers that might be cheaper with quality products? We are not in Texas FWIW. TIA
archangelus2
AG
We have the single cell ones from blinds.com. Overall I would recommend them. The only issue is that our little kids like to raise them up and they stay up so we basically live in a glass house now. They actually clean up pretty well, we have had a couple instances where something has splattered on them and you would never know after a gentle scrub.
Dandy 76
AG
Love the top-down feature of them, but just remember they are much more susceptible to damage than faux wood or most other types of blinds.
aelkins12
AG
I'm class of '12 and I work in marketing for Blinds.com in Houston. So glad to hear about the great experience other commenters have had with us!

Cellular shades are our top selling product and people LOVE them. But we have tons of reviews, so read through those to see what other people are saying.

As far as price, faux wood blinds and cellular shades are about the same.

The only reason I'd stay away from cellular shades is durability/cleaning, like others have said. But, unless your shades are going to be in a high traffic area or place where they can get splattered, like a back door or behind the sink - it shouldn't be an issue. You can vacuum with a brush attachment to remove dust and spot clean with soapy water to remove stains.

They're SO great for insulation. You will see a big difference in your room temperature and AC bill. I had them in a bedroom and it was about 5 degrees cooler with the shades down if not more. There's not a big difference between the insulating value of a single cell shade and double. Go with the single and save money.

Top/Down-Bottom/Up cellular shades are fantastic, but be aware that they're not child safe because the cord is exposed when the shades are lowered from the top. If you have small kids, go with a standard cordless lift (no top down).

Hope that helps! Reply here or reach out at abigails@blinds.com if you need anything else!
archangelus2
AG
aelkins12 said:

Top/Down-Bottom/Up cellular shades are fantastic, but be aware that they're not child safe because the cord is exposed when the shades are lowered from the top. If you have small kids, go with a standard cordless lift (no top down).

Mine are cordless and are top down/bottom up.
txaggie_2011
AG
I ordered cellular shades for all of my bedrooms from SelectBlinds.com and had a great experience. I wanted them to fit the window openings perfectly so I did a custom size order. One of my boxed arrived with the side missing (aka empty inside)... no idea why FedEx even bothered leaving an empty box, but I called SelectBlinds and they rushed out a replacement. Didn't ask for pictures, proof, or the box back. Just wanted to make it right quickly. Haven't had any issues with durability or keeping them clean.
txaggie_2011
AG
FYI I got a mailer from JustBlinds.com today.

20% off sitewide Mar 21 to Mar 29 with code Anniversary20
15% off sitewide Mar 30 to Apr 24 with code Spring15
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.