Neighbor Complaint About Drainage

6,532 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kyleolsenreed
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And hang it on you side of the chain link just in case!

Be sure it is a glow in the dark sign(probably don't actually exist).

Generally speaking, communication is very good but there does come a point when I would personally quit communicating & start ignoring.

tldr: some people are dumb
Dr. Doctor
AG
You can thank NASA and the ISS for glow-in-the-dark paint improvements.

The newer paint, once 'energized' can last for several hours. I remember talking about this in a chemistry class. You pump up the energy then force it to drain slowly via a different pathway. Thus, you can get long illumination from short periods of energy. Couple that with aligning the crystals in the paint for long lasting light.

That's why exit signs are painted with it. They coated the interior of the ISS with these strips to provide light if the power ever went out.

Fun fact for the day!

So yes, you could get a NO TRESPASSING sign painted like that, that would be illuminated for long hours of the night, facing the neighbor.

~egon
YellAg2004
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

That's why exit signs are painted with it.
Not to be a stickler on your fun fact, but exit signs aren't painted with anything. They're covered in reflectorized sheeting that reflects light back to the driver via millions of tiny prisms in the sheeting. There is no light stored in the sheeting and the signs don't glow in the dark.
Dr. Doctor
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Dr. Doctor said:

Not to be a stickler on your fun fact, but exit signs aren't painted with anything. They're covered in reflectorized sheeting that reflects light back to the driver via millions of tiny prisms in the sheeting. There is no light stored in the sheeting and the signs don't glow in the dark.
Not to be pedantic....

No power Exit signs

They are "glow in the dark" signs.

~egon
The Collective
AG
This neighbor is going to be unreasonable. Good luck.
YellAg2004
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

YellAg2004 said:

Dr. Doctor said:

Not to be pedantic....

No power Exit signs

They are "glow in the dark" signs.

~egon
Oooooohhhh, exit signs. As in building exit signs. Why didn't you say so!

I defaulted to roadway exit signs (as that's my area of work). Your original statement was correct.
[/tangent]
kyleolsenreed
AG
CJS4715 said:

This neighbor is going to be unreasonable. Good luck.
He's a lawyer too. I knew it was gonna be a problem as soon as I found that out.
AgEngineer72
AG
A lawyer was going to come on your property to alter an asset he does not own? Wow, full of himself. You may well need the no trespassing sign.

The easiest thing you can do is dig a 14-16 inch deep cross trench across your back yard perpendicular to your drain line at the end. Set 4" black perforated drain pipe in trench enveloped in gravel and tee it onto the end of the drain line. Cover it all with soil & sod so none of it shows. Cross trench could be 15 feet or so long. Problem is then only his.
kyleolsenreed
AG
Thanks. That's probably the best long term solution if I'm forced to do something about this.

He caught me outside yesterday while I was working in the yard and asked about the e-mail. I told him I got it but that I wasn't going to plug the drain. Then he said the city would probably make me plug it, so I told him to go to the city then. We'll see what happens.
Gary79Ag
AG

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
Bassmaster
AG
Yeah, I'm sure the city will get right on that.
1Aggie99
AG
would be fitting for the COH to come out and want to get tough on this "drainage/flooding" issue. they can't get **** done about entire roads/neighborhoods flooding but will jump right on a backyard holding 6" of water!!

keep an eye out for the prius patrol!
kyleolsenreed
AG
That's what I'm hoping for! I'm sure the city has better things to do. Plus, they probably don't want to get involved in petty neighbor disputes anyway.
YellAg2004
AG
Judging from how typical 311 calls are handled, they'll send someone out after it hasn't rained for 10-14 days. They'll look and see that no water is standing and proceed to close out the ticket stating that there isn't a drainage issue. Your neighbor won't get an update and will then proceed to call back a month later asking why nothing is being done, only to find out that the ticket has already been closed out. He'll then initiate a new ticket and the process will start all over.

[/RTT bait]
Vernada
AG
1Aggie99 said:

would be fitting for the COH to come out and want to get tough on this "drainage/flooding" issue. they can't get **** done about entire roads/neighborhoods flooding but will jump right on a backyard holding 6" of water!!

keep an eye out for the prius patrol!

This is city of Jersey Village.
1Aggie99
AG
my bad... In my experience you can almost certainly substitute city of .... and the response will be similar.
Oogway
Perhaps he is fixated on the drain because the probable reason for the standing water is as others have pointed out: his yard is noticably higher (at least from the photos it looks that way). If he can get you to do something about it, then he doesn't have to; the old "best defense is a good offense" strategy. Next thing you know, he will be blaming you for his awful fence deterioration and demand that you pay for it.
Sounds like you called his bluff.
kyleolsenreed
AG
So an inspector from the city came by this morning. He said that he doesn't see anything wrong with the yard and that it is the natural flow of water. Also said to take pictures of the fence because it's obvious that the water isn't the problem. He gave me his card and said to call if the guy gives me any more trouble. Looks like I'm gonna be OK.
Matsui
Vernada
AG
nice
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
kyleolsenreed said:

So an inspector from the city came by this morning. He said that he doesn't see anything wrong with the yard and that it is the natural flow of water. Also said to take pictures of the fence because it's obvious that the water isn't the problem. He gave me his card and said to call if the guy gives me any more trouble. Looks like I'm gonna be OK.

Awesome news.

Small request -

Can you get an audio recording (bonus points for video) of you passing this along to your neighbor?
kyleolsenreed
AG
I'll try and record any future conversations haha. I don't plan on telling him anything though. I'll just let the city handle it. They can have fun with him complaining.
edwardsk2003
AG
man i'm spoiled... I have absolutely awesome neighbors.
agracer
AG
LSCSN said:

am i wrong assuming he wants a new chain link fence because of rain water?
my first though when I saw the photos. He wants a new fence and wants you to help pay for it.
Vernada
AG
I say you still need to post a big No Trespass sign just for good measure.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Just paint the posts purple. See if he can figure that out...
schmellba99
AG
will.mcg said:

I think I would personally inform him to please go ahead & call the city. If they even do come out they will see that his yard is higher than all surrounding yards & his fence is just old.

Is he serious about this? Nothing better to do? What's his deal?
This is what I'd do. Talk to him first and point out the elevation differences that were there when the houses were built - then politely explain to him that should he come onto your property and plug your drain, that he will be guilty of trespassing and destruction of your property.

From the pictures shown, it looks like all houses slope downward into what was likely designed as a natural drainage swale where the fences are installed.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I wouldn't put it past this dude to sneak onto your property and pour concrete mix down tour drain he wants plugged. I'd go get a WiFi camera and have it catch him doing something on your property (make sure it is night vision or just have a patio light shining directly on the drain area). After you post that no trespassing sign, this will start to play his game. Dare him to do something, call his bluff. Arrogant p***k.
kyleolsenreed
AG
I do actually have a camera that would catch him if he tries to do something to the collection part of the drain. It doesn't point out to the spot where the drain ends though. I would hope he's smart enough to not try anything at this point, but who knows...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.