New Pool Pump advice?

1,237 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jim01
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Current pump sounds like it's going to explode it's gotten so damn loud. I keep joking saying I'm glad I'm not my neighbor and have to listen to that.

So, I'm looking into replacement options and for any input.

20,000gal pool with spa

Current pump is Pentair WhisperFlow 2hp. Damn thing is roughly $500.

Any point in going with a variable speed?
MrJonMan
AG
Considering buying just the motor and not the entire pump, since that's all that is going out
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Obviously variable speed would involve adding a variable speed drive.

The question becomes how much water you actually need to pump and if your current equipment is oversized.

Power draw is inversely proportional to speed^3... so slowing the motor down to 80% speed draws 50% of the power.

May want to double check that the noise isn't coming from the pump impeller or pump bearing rather than the motor.
MrJonMan
AG
Good call....I just figured since it was the motor because ya a crazy loud hum/whine sound coming from it.
bryanhome
Bearing are out in your pump's motor. You just need to replace the motor. You also will need to replace the pump seal.
Jim01
AG
Just piggy backing on this one.

I too have a 2 HP motor.

Currently I have this volute:
https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-WhisperFlo-Volute-Housing-357149/dp/B001F1WCRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1493490933&sr=1-1&keywords=whisperflo+volute

And this motor:
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-B2748-Single-Square-Threaded/dp/B004VU8LJW

I just replaced the volute less than a year ago so it's good to go. The motor I think we had installed about 4 years ago. About a year ago the capacitor went out and I replaced just the capacitor myself. This week the capacitor went out again. I'm thinking of replacing the entire motor because it has some serious rusting and I just feel like replacing the capacitor again will just be a band aid. Plus, as you can see from Amazon, the pump gets really bad reviews, people complaining about it crapping out.

So, I want to go with a different pump, but are pumps/volute pretty much universal? Seems like all the motors I see online have the same for bolt hole locations.

And recommendations for a good 2HP motor? Hayward seems to get pretty good reviews across their product line on Amazon.

Or should I just replace the capacitor again and see how long it lasts?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.