Experience w/zero turn mowers?

3,182 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Logan Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I have 2.5 acres of cleared land with about a dozen mature trees on the property. With the house, back porch, driveway, dog run, etc, I have about 2 acres to mow.

I've been looking at zero turn mowers and not sure what to purchase. I don't need a commercial grade system but would like to purchase a good product and not just the cheapest I can find.

Every location that I've called and talk to has recommended different lines (Hustler, Bad Boy, JD, Cub Cadet) so wondering if anyone has some insight for me.

I'm looking to spend between $3,500-5,500, but I'm not afraid to spend more if it's worth the price.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
toolshed
AG
If you are in BCS, I'd recommend you go talk to David at Ike's on S. College in Bryan. They have both commercial and lighter duty models. Sales and service in one location and they've been around for years. If anything, it will give you a good starting point of information, and David knows his stuff on the units, motors, service issues, etc..
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
I'll definitely go talk to David. Thanks!
jtp01
AG
Steer clear of cub cadet. Still regret the one I own.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
If you plan to be there a while, I would consider something like a Kubota diesel engine mower.

These things are extremely heavy duty and they just run and run. Gas engines wear out quicker and can be a little more difficult to start and keep running smoothly.

It does cost 2X as much, but it would be hassle-free, very little maintenence and possibly the last mower you buy.
ag0207
AG
Buy the largest cut width you can
ftworthag02
AG
As owner of a landscape company for 13yrs... look at toro or scag homeowner ztr
AgResearch
AG
Outside your budget by a long way but I run a fleet of 3 JD Z960R's with 72" decks. Mow close to 45 acres per week (not a landscape company). They fly even when the grass is too damn tall.

We had a lower model JD (Z445) that would be in your price range and I wouldn't waste your money. Not fast enough and couldn't handle thick grass.
cadetjay02
AG
I second the toro. I have a 50" zero turn but with your budget get the 60".
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
I appreciate all the responses. I spoke to a guy today that pointed me in the direction of an Ariens IKON X 52".

Was told that it's similar to a Scag but much cheaper ($2,999.00). And this was coming from a Scag owner with 15 acres.

Thoughts?
AggieGunslinger
AG
I owned an airens self propelled mower in high school when I mowed yards for a living. I hated that thing, it was non stop trouble. I sold it and went back to Toro.
TexAg1987
I am very happy with my Hustler Raptor SD purchase that I made last year.

I'll let you mow my yard if you want to try it out.
tunefx
AG
Logan:
This would help with your workout and save you money!

TexAg1987
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2841129
btalking
AG
Bought a Gravely 42 over the holidays and have been pleased thus far.
aggie_wes
AG
Hustler Raptor FTMFW
Waltonloads08
AG
I've cut grass with a Kubota and holy hell it chewed through everything. It was a blast too.

Get goggles, if it's dry and thick grass that thing will kick up tons of dirt and grass into your face.
Matt_s
AG
I'm sales rep for Deere in the Houston area, so I'm probably a little partial to our stuff. However, there are several reputable brands out there that make pretty good stuff. Here is what I generally tell people:

The two most important things on a zero turn (or any mower for that fact), is the deck and the motor. On the deck, I typically recommend stamped vs fabricated. Fabricated normally has more sharp corners and stuff where grass and stuff can get caught up. Also on the deck check the chute opening and the deck gauge. On the motor I have experience with three brands: Kawasaki, Kohler, and Briggs. I recommend them in that order. The other thing I look at is warranty. We (Deere) cover the machine as a whole. Many other brands will warranty the mower and the engine separately.

Just a few things to consider.

aggie_wes
AG
Typically fabricated decks are more robust if you have to deal with rocks and debris.

Hustler gets you a fabricated deck and a Kawasaki motor for about the same price as the Deere.
BrazosDog02
AG
I think if you can swing a commercial grade price tag that you should do that. Second, you should get the brand that has a dealer and service nearest to you. Third, don't get hung up on welded vs. stamped decks. In a commercial grade mower, it matters not. Personally, I find the commercial deer stamped decks to be superior to a welded deck for a couple of reasons (most of which have already been covered). From a practical 'longevity' standpoint, it makes no difference I don't think. There is a lot to be said for buying a unit that is designed to be run 8 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I own a Z720 Deere. It's easily among the top 3 purchases Ive ever made in terms of quality and performance. Just make sure you get what you want because you won't be wearing out a commercial mower on your place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.