Need to Kill, Till and Resod my Backyard in Houston

1,927 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kceovaisnt-
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any recommendations for someone to do this?

Basically the weeds have run crazy and there are a number of places that need to be in-filled or shaved down to create uniform drainage. It is a blowup and start over job. For reference sake, my total lot size is approximately 8,000 sqft with a 1,900 sqft house and a detached garage that sits behind the house in the backyard.
Bassmaster
AG
Spray roundup on everything. Let it sit for several days. Rent a tiller from Home Depot and run it over everything a couple of times. Rake it to smooth it out and remove anything that looks like it needs removing. Then lay new sod. That's was I did when I tore out our St. Augustine to replace with Zoysia a few years ago.
ABATTBQ11
AG
You could rent a bobcat and harley rake. That's what I'm considering.
clintaggie04
AG
I had to do this a few years ago because of chinch bugs. I looked at a few options but for me, it was worth it to just pay to have it all done. The guys came in with a sod cutter and trailers the first day and basically cut about 3" deep and 3' wide and rolled it up in giant rolls. The rolls went on the trailers and they were gone the first day. Day two they returned with the trailers full of soil and leveled out my yard. Then the sprayed and dusted the entire yard with insecticide. The next day they came back with pallets of grass and laid it all. It was a pretty amazing transformation. I think I paid about $2500 total for all that but my yard was quite a bit bigger than yours.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Who did you use to do that and was it in Houston.

Otherwise, I am going to commandeer my dad to run a rented tiller in 2 weeks when he comes to town and we are going to spend the weekend laying grass. I would happily pay $2.5K to have it all done in a couple of days.
clintaggie04
AG
It was in Pearland but I have a 0% chance of figuring out who did it. Sorry. I would think you could just google a few lawn care services companies in your zip code and call them though.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
For the love of god do not till. You will spend years trying to smooth out your yard even if it it rolled well the settleing makes it rough again. As someone posted above, sod cutter and box blade grading then sod.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.