Best gravel drive material..

14,444 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by allMondjoy
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 1200 foot gravel drive. Currently it is bullrock with some sand in spots, which is of course a great base, but coarse to drive on and very difficult to level due to the size of the bullrock. It really needs a topping layer of something more fine, but what is durable and won't wash away so easy? Crushed concrete or limestone road base? Reclaimed asphalt?
water turkey
Where at? Our long driveway, as a kid, was oyster shell.
Aggietaco
AG
You have 5" gravel as a 1200' driveway? That sounds terrible.

I'd top it with road base and call it good if you're used to driving on bull rock every day.

Corps_Ag12
AG
Aggietaco said:

You have 5" gravel as a 1200' driveway? That sounds terrible.

I'd top it with road base and call it good if you're used to driving on bull rock every day.

This.
MouthBQ98
AG
Well, it's mostly 1-2 inch bits with some bigger pieces in there. I think someone tried to put smaller stuff on it here or there in the worst spots a few times, but yeah, there are areas where it's nothing but small to medium bullrock with some sand in the gaps.
rancher1953
From experience if you have a concrete plant nearby contacted them and ask about a load of washout. You can spread it over the bull rock and low spots will make the road like concrete. I must warn you it will be dusty in dry weather. Price per truck load is cheap and will solve your problem.
toolshed
AG
Recycled asphalt isn't nearly as dusty, will compact into place nicely, especially if you grade it then roller compact it. Then, every so often you can grave it again as needed. It's not the cheapest, but I think it's the most desirable option. Road base and recycled concrete are both very dusty.
jtp01
AG
If you have a caliche pit around, I would top it with that. Graded and compacted with water and a roller will be really smooth and will last for a long time. Problem with most caliche drives is the lack of a proper base material.

If caliche is not available, go with crushed asphalt. Go a little thicker than you think you need and compact it more than you think you need to as well. Make certain the asphalt doesn't have any huge chunks in it as they are a pain to mess with.
Agmechanic
AG
Reject from a concrete plant is what we have all over out ranch

Which reminds me. Need to order a couple more truckloads

It is dusty but compacts well and compared to decomp granite or crushed asphalt its pretty cheap
schmellba99
AG
Asphalt millings - if they are resurfacing a road anywhere near you, stop and talk with the superintendent and tell them you are looking for some. Odds are they will give it to you for free because it reduces their cost to haul off.

Crushed concrete base - if you are in Houston, this stuff is everywhere and you can get it in a host of different sizes. Cherry Crushed Concrete, Southern Crushed Concrete and 2 or three other places have it. You can also get it stabilized with cement - really helps when you do the initial install and compaction, and it holds together pretty solid.

Caliche or crushed oyster shell work great, but will need periodic maintenance depending on traffic use, subsurface conditions and weather. Haven't seen much oyster shell being used in a while though, not sure how hard it will be to get a hold of. You can usually call dirt pits and get TXDOT road base as well - has lots of fines, and sometimes its really good, other times not so much. I've had good luck and bad luck with it.

Limestone, granite, etc. are also available, but will be expensive because they aren't native to here (gulf coast Texas, hill country is a different story).
allMondjoy
Use a 3 inch lift of post oak rock 1 to 1.5 inch size. Will smooth as silk after leveling with box blade and getting a rain. I have a 15 year old 5100' road that all I have to do is lightly roll rock twice a year with a box blade and its like a baby's butt
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.