Fertilizer & Herbicide application question

3,003 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cromagnum
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I put out my fertilizer and herbicide yesterday evening (my only chance for a while and following Lemmon's guide) and since it had rained 4 inches and I had a fairly wet yard, didn't water it in. Should I water it some today? My yard is about 1.5 acres so I'd rather not waste that stuff and make sure it's applied correctly.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
if it rained 4" there is a good chance everything you did was carried away in the rain.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

if it rained 4" there is a good chance everything you did was carried away in the rain.
Application was yesterday evening well after the rain was done.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Yes, water it in.
txag2008
AG
I know you didn't ask, but I've always heard not to apply both at the same time. I have no idea how much it matters.
Gary79Ag
AG
txag2008 said:

I know you didn't ask, but I've always heard not to apply both at the same time. I have no idea how much it matters.
Per our Aggie Expert, Neil Sperry...

A Note from Neil on Weed and Feed Products
txag2008
AG
Not from the link you posted, but from Neil Sperry, "Any time you intend to apply pre-emergent weedkillers and fertilizers at roughly the same time, apply the fertilizer first. Water it into the soil deeply. Wait a couple of days, then apply the pre-emergent granules and water lightly."

http://neilsperry.com/2013/01/what-is-the-right-time-for-preemergents/
DallasAggie89
AG
Way too early in DFW for fertilizer
rancher1953
If you listen to Randy Lemmon I hope you have money to burn. He sells anything and everything that someone will pay him to do or in his case say. If you read the God Father of Gardening for Texas, Neil Sperry. You will see it is too early to fertilize, soil tempt. is too low. Go to his website and save yourself money and time. Here is his article on early spring lawn care. Run as fast as you can from Randy Lemmon advice, he does not even do his own lawn.

http://neilsperry.com/notes/2015/02/early-spring-lawn-care/
allMondjoy
Yea, that Lemon guy acts like a horticulturist when he actually was only a communications major!
He has turned into a product salesman.
07fta07
AG
I've followed Lemmon's guide for many years and it's worked perfectly for me in Houston.
ceenAg05
AG
Can't have a mention of Lemmon's schedule without the haters coming out. His schedule is fine. As he freely admits, he has sponsors and would love if you used their products, but use anything that meets the specs listed on the schedule. I've never really listened to his show, but the couple times I heard it, it sounded just like Tom Tynan. That station is constant advertising.
Cromagnum
AG
Its not too early to fertilize. Its routinely in the 70s and 80s in Houston and lawns have been green for a month already. Neil's schedule is for areas a few hours north of us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.