Replacing windows in back of house with doors

2,313 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by histag10
Jill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some insight and pictures if anyone has ever done this. We are looking to change the entire back of our house. Currently the door to the patio goes through the "breakfast nook" area but it's REALLY annoying. We plan on replacing the door with another window and then taking out our three windows in the living room and replacing with french doors or sliding doors, something. Has anyone on this board done something similar and have pictures of how you finished out the doors in the back? Suggestions?

Thanks!
03_Aggie

Gary79Ag
AG
Jill said:

Need some insight and pictures if anyone has ever done this. We are looking to change the entire back of our house. Currently the door to the patio goes through the "breakfast nook" area but it's REALLY annoying. We plan on replacing the door with another window and then taking out our three windows in the living room and replacing with french doors or sliding doors, something. Has anyone on this board done something similar and have pictures of how you finished out the doors in the back? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Need pics of what you currently have...brick, siding or whatever.

Our home has brick exterior so I just removed the bricks (brick by brick) in the area where the window to door transition was made and had a masonry reuse the bricks to brick the area around the patio door. Then used brick molding to finish trimming the door to mach the other doors of the home.

Did this at our prior home but didn't take the time to reuse the bricks as I just used a masonry saw to cut the opening in the brick wall and then used faux 1x2 trim to trim around the door. Didn't turn out as professional looking as the current one.
Gary79Ag
AG
Yep, did it just like 03_Aggie...
Jill
AG

This is what we currently have. We would remove the door on the right and the three windows on the left. All brick.
aezmvp
Couple of different options. French doors, sliding doors, double sliding or accordion. Just depends on how much room you have and how much indoor out you want.
Jill
AG
Have sliding doors come along way from the 80s? I've just always been leery to have them in a house again but they could be better than they were when I was growing up.
histag10
AG
we took this:

to this:

Dont have a finished picture, but it is done.
03_Aggie
Aesthetically, a window where the door is will not be at the same height as the other windows unless its reframed all together. Would add a good chunk to the cost I suspect.
Corps_Ag12
AG
03_Aggie said:

Aesthetically, a window where the door is will not be at the same height as the other windows unless its reframed all together. Would add a good chunk to the cost I suspect.

Depends on how much work he wants to do.

Instead of another window of just have the door opening filled in with brick. Or leave the door as a backup
histag10
AG
03_Aggie said:

It really doesn't. You have to reframe the area anyways, so to take it up or down a few inches to frame your window where you want isn't really a huge deal or added cost. (We haven't done a door, but we have reframed full length windows to smaller windows- same concept though)
03_Aggie
I'd think shrinking an already existing opening is much easier, and cheaper, than expanding an opening. Just thinking removing and adding header support takes a little more time than adding framing to an already supported area.
TexAg1987
Jill said:

Have sliding doors come along way from the 80s? I've just always been leery to have them in a house again but they could be better than they were when I was growing up.
You need to get a quality unit from Andersen or the like. https://www.andersenwindows.com/product/sliding-patio-doors/

The wood units are quite nice and smooth.

Don't go cheap on a sliding door. Maybe avoid if you have a lot of shifting in your house.

I did this in a previous house and loved it. My current house had Pella windows so I went with a Pella sliding door when I had to replace some failing french doors. Not as impressed. The door is quality, but the locking mechanism sucks.

Jill
AG
We have some pretty BIG ideas for this back area. We originally thought we would just put in a window where the door is. Then I thought "Hmmmmm, I want an outdoor kitchen someday" so then we thought we might just completely re-frame that area and put in a sliding window that would open up to a counter on the other side for the outdoor kitchen. That way when you want to take out food and stuff to grill you don't have to trapse it through the living room. Just go through the window in the breakfast nook. So yes, big cost, but ultimately what we think we want to do.

Most likely we would start with replacing the 3 windows and then save up to do the breakfast nook area.
histag10
AG
03_Aggie said:

I'd think shrinking an already existing opening is much easier, and cheaper, than expanding an opening. Just thinking removing and adding header support takes a little more time than adding framing to an already supported area.

Right, but maybe I'm misreading the OP, but it seems like they want to take out a 3 window section and add a door (not hard). And replace an existing single door with a window (reframing because the window wouldnt be the same size as the single door was).
03_Aggie
Yes. I was pointing out that just dropping a window in the door opening would mean it would not match the window right next to it as the header for the door is lower than that of the window. For some, aesthetically speaking, that is a non starter.

Given the recent comment about a "server" window, it may be a moot point.
histag10
AG
03_Aggie said:

Yes. I was pointing out that just dropping a window in the door opening would mean it would not match the window right next to it as the header for the door is lower than that of the window. For some, aesthetically speaking, that is a non starter.

Given the recent comment about a "server" window, it may be a moot point.

AHH! I missed that picture! You are right.

Thanks for the clarification. I was really confused lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.