Asbestos tiles under floor?

2,153 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fleen
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, old house, about 3-4 layers of different flooring and "sub flooring" in the kitchen. One of the last layers appears to be asbestos tile. (They look like the old, large hospital type tiles)
Should i have it tested? DIY removal? Hire it out?
helloag99
Can you leave in place?

DIY demo will "typically" not kill you

Wear a mask

Don't make dust
The Fife
The tile won't hurt you as long as you don't turn the tiles into dust. That generally means grinding them up and doing a rail. Asbestos pipe insulation is a whole different story, that stuff goes airborne a lot easier.
powerbiscuit
Fleen said:

So, old house, about 3-4 layers of different flooring and "sub flooring" in the kitchen. One of the last layers appears to be asbestos tile. (They look like the old, large hospital type tiles)
Should i have it tested? DIY removal? Hire it out?
How can you tell by looking? From my understanding, you can't tell without testing.

I read an article about the "asbestos" siding that was used in the 50's or 60's. The article said that a bunch of the stuff didn't have it and it was speculation without having it tested. It said to call it cement siding rather than asbestos siding unless you knew the contents.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I *think* tiles that are 9" square are asbestos. DO NOT MESS WITH THEM.

Quote:

DIY demo will "typically" not kill you

Don't even think about it. Leave it alone (lay stuff over it) or get a proper abatement. Something like that won't be terribly expensive.
czechy91
AG
Not all 9" x 9" tiles are asbestos, the only way to tell is to have them tested. These floor tiles are considered non-friable and will not harm you as long as they aren't pulverized or made into airborne particulate. Homeowners can abate non-friable asbestos containing material (ACM) by manually removing the materials once they have been wetted down to prevent airborne particulates. You can do it for free by taking small precautions (water spray, bottle and mask) or hire someone to come do it for big bucks. Note- asbestos wrapped pipes are mostly friable ACM and should always be removed by professionals.

p_bubel
Yeah, we removed the tile at my buddy's house pretty easily and had the adhesive abated by a professional.

The added benefit of having the adhesive done professionally was that the slab was now perfectly smooth for the new laminate wood floors. Something that would have been VERY difficult on our own.

Asbestos is very common in San Antonio, especially in the siding, and frankly not a huge boogie man. Just don't routinely go eating/snorting the *****
AgBank
AG
If you have it tested, then you may be obligated to disclose it at future sales (not a lawyer, nor do I do much real estate). If you plan to "DIY", then treat it as if it is asbestos.
flown-the-coop
AG
Speaking of adhesive, we run into asbestos containing mastic in floors more often than asbestos tiles. Fake shake type siding is also another fun one.

Adopting the disclaimer above, not sure I would have it tested. Just assume it is hot and wet it down, wear a mask, bag it and take it to a landfill that accepts it. Or just tile over it.
Fleen
I know, lengthy bump but school is out and I'm getting back at it. The tiles in question are about 2 layers down. I need to go all the way down to foundation as the subfloor is pretty weak in some areas. Is there a swab test of some sort? I am leaning towards just a wet down and removal one weekend when the family is out of town...
The Fife
I'm confused. Foundation as in, plywood?
Fleen
No, there is about an inch and a half of various layers of linoleum, particle board/thin plywood, the aforementioned tiles until you get to concrete foundation...
The Fife
Oh. Honestly the asbestos in VAT floor tiles is not very friable so I wouldn't have any problem doing it that way. I'll probably end up doing the same with what I think is a small, old laundry area 1' under our dining room. Just scrape em off and out they go. They're probably halfway disbonded anyway.
Fleen
I will probably be able to get most of them up still sandwiched between the other layers, so sounds like I should be good to go. I have a contractor friend coming out to help with header necessity/options, will get his input as well...
Thanks fife!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.