Mattress shopping, any recommendations?

11,900 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ftworthag02
Born Maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love my Casper
eeaggie11
AG
We bought our mattress from Costco for cheap and then bought a highend mattress topper. Total price was a lot less than buying a highend mattress for the same sleeping experience.
Texker
AG
histag10 said:

Also, I have heard bad things about Stearns and Foster (doesn't hold up well for the price)

We have a S&F. Hate it. Started out comfortable and went downhill from there. It's only 4 years old.
Whitetail
AG
eeaggie11 said:

We bought our mattress from Costco for cheap and then bought a highend mattress topper. Total price was a lot less than buying a highend mattress for the same sleeping experience.

Good idea. Where'd you find the topper?
eeaggie11
AG
For one bed we bought a Tempurpedic brand one at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. For another bed we bought one they had at Costco. They have both been great. The tempurpedic brand one was like $400 and the Costco $100.
Ag_09
AG
213 Grove said:

pnut02 said:

Anyone ever buy from Texas Mattress Makers?
http://www.texasmattressmakers.com/

Yes. Great mattress at great price

Would recommend.
Yep, bought a mattress there 4 years ago. We've been very satisfied. Highly recommend.
62strat
AG
DeBoss said:

Try not to go to a national chain like Mattress Firm or Sleep experts. They are very poor at negotiating a fair price. I have bought my 2 recent mattresses from local owner stores that have maybe 1 or 2 locations. They have instantly negotiated their price to something I consider fair.
I bought my one and only mattress in my adult life from a mattress firm. We went in on a whim, not with any intention to buy. When we found a mattress we liked, we talked about how we'd consider it down the road when we decide to actually upgrade. That price came down real quick. Think it went from like $1500 to $900. According to the sales person, they get like 3x a year they can sell to a 'family/friend' at their employee discounted price, and he was using one of those this time for us.
I don't care if that's true or not, I just know I paid 40% less than what the sticker said, which felt good.

We were pretty happy.

8 years later, and we still have it, pretty comfy.

Just don't go in with your credit card in hand.. show a little resistance and interest to 'shop around'. They'll lower that price in no time.
Pendragon12
AG
I bought a S&F from a mattress firm 4 years ago, and I still sleep like the dead, but according to everything above I did it wrong . It's the best bed I've ever had, honestly. I cannot stand 100% memory foam, so a lot of the traditional "best bed ever" recs are just awful for me. My bed has held up great, and I pine for it whenever I travel because no bed exists (that I've encountered) that can hold a candle to my mattress.

But I, my parents, and my sibling never buy a full price mattress anymore. I think I got 30-35% off? Parents got something similar for a king, same bed as mine a year later or so. Hell, there are very few things I buy anymore at full price. So I agree with another poster, as long as you don't HAVE to buy something right then, you'll have negotiating power or can wait for one of the major holiday sales that always crop up.

I'm curious on the internet only mattresses, but not being able to try it out before makes me nervous.
JimDandy
Happy with my sleep number. Went with base model and did not purchase any extras. I prefer to sleep on a super firm mattress.
edwardsk2003
AG
MrJonMan said:

RockOn said:

Interesting with 3 up votes for Casper. Anyone else have an experience with an internet only mattress?

Not Casper, but we bought and returned a Ghost Bed, Leesa and finally kept a Nest Alexander Hybrid

Nest Alexander Hybrid has gotten extremely good reviews across a number of independent sites recently....
Aggielandma12
AG
Saatva being delivered in the morning.
edwardsk2003
AG
I'm in your boat... bought a S&F (far from 'full price') started great... absolutely painful now...
edwardsk2003
AG
1st impression?

I'm trying to decide between Alexander Hybrid and Saatva... trying to find as many review sites as possible...
Tempted to just buy them both and keep the one we like best...
Aggielandma12
AG
first night sleep was good. I will update after we have had a chance to break it in.
edwardsk2003
AG
so?

(I just pulled the trigger on the Alexander Hybrid)
Aggielandma12
AG
No complaints to report. Wife and I have been sleeping like babies.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

No complaints to report. Wife and I have been sleeping like babies.

Waking up every two hours hungry?
Aggielandma12
AG
I reach over for the breast but get slapped in the face.
notheranymore
Sleep number. I love that we can have different levels of firmness. We got the 2nd from top level one with the cool foam cover.
Bulldog73
AG
We love our Tuft & Needle. All the online only seemed pretty similar but this has great reviews for a good price.
evestor1
Keetsa Teaf Leaf Supreme
13" foam mattress
King was 1700ish

I own two and wish I owned more
ezmoney
AG
thesleepstation said:

feel free to PM with any questions.. whether you buy from us or not we can at the very least help guide you through the process.
Jarrad

I have a few questions but not able to PM.
ftworthag02
AG
We like our S&F from Dillards
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.