Mattress shopping, any recommendations?

11,928 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ftworthag02
Aggielandma12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shopping for a new mattress is one of the worst things to go through. Anybody buy one recently they would recommend?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Bought a tempurpedic 7 years ago. Still sleeps like the first year. Won't buy anything else in future. Worth the money to buy high quality.

Go to any mattress store that sells them, they usually offer 3/5 year no interest. Buy on their credit, and pay off in 1yr.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Buy one with a good return policy. You won't really know if it's right until you sleep on it for a while
EEAg07
AG
Casper
histag10
AG
I just bought a serta perfect sleeper springsong from Menards, but I don't think ya'll have Menards in Texas, and Serta makes it specially for them. The only serta with a cool action gel foam layer and evercool gel foam layer.

Love it so far.

Also, I have heard bad things about Stearns and Foster (doesn't hold up well for the price)
MEENag
AG
Bought a 100% latex mattress from the Original Mattress Factory in Fort Worth several years ago and have been very pleased.
My advice to you would be to research the benefits of Latex foam vs memory foam and to find out if you have a local mattress manufacturer. Most major cities have at least one.
dsvogel05
AG
Bought a Simmons Beautyrest from http://www.us-mattress.com/ We learned a lot of stores sell the same mattress under different model names, so just look at the descriptions. Would buy from US Mattress again, no tax, free shipping and significantly cheaper than the competition. Took 11 days from date of order to delivery.
Splitag
AG
I worked in a mattress store while in school, and the mark up on beds is absurd. The worst thing you can do, is walk into a store uninformed and open your checkbook. They will sell you anything and everything you don't need or want. As has been said already, do your research. There is so much available online now, and you can do your comparison shopping from the computer. Go lay on several after researching, and decide what you like and don't like. Write down the specs and details of the ones you feel most comfortable laying on. As stated above, the beds come from the manufacturer and are marketed differently depending on which store you buy from. Ask about the return policy. It is nice to have the option, just in case you get home and your choice ends up being terrible.
matthopp
AG
I will be mattress shopping in the next few months. I bought what I thought was a very nice king micro-coil mattress about 2 years ago from a local Houston manufacturer and have been very disappointed. This mattress is crazy hot and there is a huge crater spot where I sleep. I sleep in hotel rooms for about 200 nights per year and probably sleep better on their random mattresses; even my old basic hand-me down mattress sleeps better than my new one.

I am a big guy (6-1, 300lbs) and want a mattress that wont crater in a year and isn't hot (I have tried all types of sheets). I spent about $2K on the last one and open to a larger budget if needed so I look forward to sleeping at home. Thoughts?
CrawfordAg
AG
+1 for Casper, perfect firmness and sleeps cool.
DeBoss
AG
Try not to go to a national chain like Mattress Firm or Sleep experts. They are very poor at negotiating a fair price. I have bought my 2 recent mattresses from local owner stores that have maybe 1 or 2 locations. They have instantly negotiated their price to something I consider fair.
rancher1953
Caspar best mattress I have ever had. You cannot go wrong.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Leesa Matress
toolshed
AG
If you are in or near BCS I'd recommend going to Sleep Station and let the guys there teach you about the different types and pros and cos of each. We went in thinking one thing on firmness and brand and they sold us a less expensive mattress. We stuck to the firm mattress based on our old one but quickly regretted it. They were quick to change it out for us and get us what we needed.
RockOn
Interesting with 3 up votes for Casper. Anyone else have an experience with an internet only mattress?
MrJonMan
AG
RockOn said:

Interesting with 3 up votes for Casper. Anyone else have an experience with an internet only mattress?

Not Casper, but we bought and returned a Ghost Bed, Leesa and finally kept a Nest Alexander Hybrid
histag10
AG
There is a really long thread (on the General board I think) about Casper mattress and it eventually delved into other online only brands. May be worth the read.
Aggielandma12
AG
histag10 said:

There is a really long thread (on the General board I think) about Casper mattress and it eventually delved into other online only brands. May be worth the read.

I will check that out, I'm looking at the Saatva but not sold on it.
Cromagnum
AG
Splitag said:

I worked in a mattress store while in school, and the mark up on beds is absurd. The worst thing you can do, is walk into a store uninformed and open your checkbook. They will sell you anything and everything you don't need or want. As has been said already, do your research. There is so much available online now, and you can do your comparison shopping from the computer. Go lay on several after researching, and decide what you like and don't like. Write down the specs and details of the ones you feel most comfortable laying on. As stated above, the beds come from the manufacturer and are marketed differently depending on which store you buy from. Ask about the return policy. It is nice to have the option, just in case you get home and your choice ends up being terrible.

You are correct, but a lot of stores name their bed models with unique conventions so it become nearly if not fully impossible to look up any beds online to compare pricing.
pnut02
AG
Anyone ever buy from Texas Mattress Makers?
http://www.texasmattressmakers.com/

Martin Q. Blank
Costco
213 Grove
AG
pnut02 said:

Anyone ever buy from Texas Mattress Makers?
http://www.texasmattressmakers.com/

Yes. Great mattress at great price

Would recommend.
jtraggie99
AG
For anyone shopping for a mattress, I would peruse this website. There is a ton of great information there on what and what not to do when it comes to buying a new mattress.

https://www.themattressunderground.com/
aggiepaintrain
AG
I can't decide between Leef & Loom or Saavta Hybrid

I want atleast 14" height, seems like most foam are thin to me
histag10
AG
I personally haven't tried them, but I know some old guys up here that rave about Brooklyn mattress. Made in South Dakota I think, but they ship in box.

These are old guys with arthritis and bad backs, who say they have never slept better.

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/

We didn't buy online because we wanted to be able to see it first/lay on it.
Dr. Faustus
AG
My girlfriend and I have a Helix mattress. Online order and delivered to your door, customized to your preferences based on a series of questions that you answer, and a 100-night return policy. Sleeps better than the mattress I paid over 2x for 5 years ago. HIGHLY recommend.
ktownag08
AG
We tried Brooklyn Bedding, Novosbed, and finally ended up with a Dreamfoam Aloe Alexis.

All of the companies are online only and took the mattresses back no issue. All of them offered free toppers and recommendations on what to try next since theirs didn't work out.

No way I'd go into a mattress store anymore when you can buy, try, and return 100% risk free if you don't like it for ANY reason. We got free pillows and sheets from all 3 and even got to keep them.

Do yourself a favor and go online.
Bmac04
AG
Leesa
EastSideAg2002
jtraggie99 said:

For anyone shopping for a mattress, I would peruse this website. There is a ton of great information there on what and what not to do when it comes to buying a new mattress.

https://www.themattressunderground.com/
This....

And ended up buying at Original Mattress factory in Fort Worth as well. We bought a latex king a few years ago and I still love it.
Comeby!
AG
Where are the sleep number folks?
aggiebq03+
Get a prescription from your Dr for back pain if you have any. Can avoid paying state sales tax on the bed. Or could several years ago when we bought our Tempurpedic.
lb3
AG
pnut02
AG
I've definitely perused The Mattress Underground; there's so much information it makes my head spin.
Another useful site is http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/
ORAggieFan
aggiepaintrain said:

I can't decide between Leef & Loom or Saavta Hybrid

I want atleast 14" height, seems like most foam are thin to me

We have a Loom and Leaf and absolutely love it. Tried Leesa first and was too firm. L&L is amazing.

To the OP, I'd do research online and go with some of the options mentioned with great return policies. Way cheaper to buy direct than a store.
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
feel free to PM with any questions.. whether you buy from us or not we can at the very least help guide you through the process.
Jarrad
Aggie Owned and Operated by Jarrad and Elisha McLeod Class of 2003 and 2006! The Official Mattress Provider of TexAgs!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.