Flood Lights Keep Burning Up

1,107 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got three sets of these around the perimeter of my house under the eaves and the GE Par 38 bulbs keep burning up. I've gone through at least 30 bulbs (at $12+) in the past few years. GE keeps providing me free replacements under warranty but it's a hassle dealing with them every time a set of bulbs goes out. Any ideas?

These are the bulbs that went out last time around.
JP76
Switch to LED

https://m.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-250-W-Equivalent-Dimmable-Daylight-PAR38-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb/1000083109

25,000 hour rating versus the 3000 hour rating you currently run

Also the ones above use 70% less energy when on compared to 90 watt halogen.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Thanks, that could definitely be the issue since they are on all night every night.

So are the $40 LED bulbs that much better than the $10 LED bulbs?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Depends. Not every LED bulb is the same. You need to look at this like if it's dimmable, outdoor rated, output, etc.

ETA: It looks like the $40 bulbs provide 150% more lumens. They're 2.5 times brighter.
JP76
The halogen bulbs you posted have a lumen output of 1900
The LED I posted are 2400 lumens or about 25% brighter.

You can buy a cheaper LED such as this 90 or 120 watt equivalent but the lumen output is only going to be around 900-1100 which is about 50% dimmer than your current halogen bulbs.
will.mcg
AG
Could you replace fixtures with motion detected?
Garrelli 5000
AG
We had a similar problem. No matter which fixtures I used, the uplights on the house would short out and wouldn't last more than a couple of months per bulb.

I finally purchased some LED lights that were sealed. The sealed non-LED always attracted bugs that would die on the lens, eventually shattering the lens.

The LED lights are cool so no issues with bugs cracking the cover.

The only issue was the lights were lab coat bright white. We purchased some photography gel sheets in a color that mimics candlelight. They're now perfect.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.