AC Unit

2,021 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agz win
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My AC unit is working, but I am not sure it is working properly. It does cool.

It seems to almost not come on over night? Maybe I have a setting wrong, but I haven't changed any setting's recently, so not sure why.

I cleaned out the coils recently as Sunday...it worked all day just fine.

Maybe I need a new thermostat. The one I use now is hard to program it is an old Hunter, I think, probably around 15 years old.

Any ideas for a easy to use more up to date thermostat and less than $150?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
You can get a builder grade Honeywell for under $50,
AtlAg05
AG
I'm no expert but have had lots of issues with my AC over the years.

You said it is cooling but doesn't come on at night, this could just be that it is staying at the desired temperature so it doesn't need to come on.

If it is struggling to cool and you have an infrared temp gauge, you can check the air temp coming out of the vents. If it isn't cool enough to reach your set temp it might be low on refrigerant.

Big box stores will have a bunch of options in your price range for replacement thermostats.

Edit, not sure how that emote was chosen but I'm not crying over this
CapCity12thMan
AG
If it isn't getting warm at night in the house then there is no need to kick on...

CAR96
AG
It's not getting warm at night, because it is relatively cool at night....northside of Houston. It feels stuffy in the morning though.

When I was home mid morning for a quick lunch...it felt as though it had not been on at all during the morning and the day was heating up outside.

Just before I left it kicked on. I guess a telling sign will be if the house feels cool when I get home later after the heat of the day has built up.

DriftwoodAg
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

You can get a builder grade Honeywell for under $50,

I'd recommend spending $100 and getting the wifi version. Once you get the wifi/app set up, it is a breeze to program and you can control it from anywhere. We have this one and the touch screen version.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-7-Day-Programmable-Thermostat-with-Built-In-Wifi-Works-with-Iris/999914795
DriftwoodAg
AG
CAR96 said:

It's not getting warm at night, because it is relatively cool at night....northside of Houston. It feels stuffy in the morning though.

When I was home mid morning for a quick lunch...it felt as though it had not been on at all during the morning and the day was heating up outside.

Just before I left it kicked on. I guess a telling sign will be if the house feels cool when I get home later after the heat of the day has built up.

I think it is primarily just the time of year. You either need to make your house really cold at night, or put the heater on. Your AC has to run to get the humidity out of the house.
BrazosDog02
AG
Yep. Just check the temp setting. If it's at the set point then it's at the set point. this time of year the system just doesn't run much, which means the humidity will be higher than you are used to and it will seem stuffy. Sometimes I run mine down to 70 or 65 this time of year just to dry it out if I feel like I need to.
agz win
AG
Switched mine over from heat to cool and I have no cooling at all.

Hope this isn't going to be costly. System is ten years old.
BrazosDog02
AG
Ten years...So R22 system? Could be simple or.may not be. Have someone look at it. Do you have a tech?
CapCity12thMan
AG
yeah I seem to be running my AC this February, and have to set it to 70 to get things comfortable. In the summer, I rarely set it below 72. I think it is just the screwy cool nights/warm days and seasonably warm winter we are having.

I know my thermos have a "swing" setting, that for whatever reason I can set the temp I want at say 72, but the swing at -1.5 or -2 deg and it won't kick the unit on until it hits 72-1.5 or 72-2, depending on that setting. I am not sure why I would want this. I set the swing to .5 deg so the unit is always right around the temp I want. Perhaps this setting is to keep the unit running more infrequent periods for longer durations I don't know.
agz win
AG
Tech is coming in on Friday. Outdoor temp needs to be above 70 degress for him to test. I'm thinking it's going to be a refrigerant leak.
jcurtis2979
AG
In Dallas in the past 3-4 weeks I have changed my thermostat from heating to cooling almost 2-3 times per week as the outside temp have been swinging. Humidity probably an issue but could be many other things as well.
tgivaughn
AG
True that thermostats can get old & even begin to heat up its own temperature showing on dial

Also Texas weather can fool the AC this time of year and most do not have a whole house fan alternative

Sorry not much help - although Amazon sells those, I'd sleep better knowing a pro put it in correctly & answered all these questions after a checkup ... suggest starting an annual checkup policy to offset this first visit cost
agz win
AG
Damn squirrels chewed my wires. $90 bucks for service to fix. All is cool now and the good news is the tech guy may build me some adirondack rockers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.