Is this estimate reasonable?

2,259 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tgivaughn
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Adding a powder room where an existing closet exists in a hallway.

New drain line for sink and toilet are needed as is plumbing from the nearby water heater.

I asked for a quote to demo the closet (door hole, flooring), trench to a nearby toilet (on the other side of the wall, maybe 3 feet away) and trench for the sink drainage. Pex pipe new water supply. Fill concrete.

Quoted at $4,500. Is this reasonable?

Originally I had him quote everything (new door hole, electricity for vanity, lay tile, install fan, toilet, sink, etc) and he came back at $10k.

They can start in 3 weeks and I kinda want to just get them started instead of having to bring out 100 diff contractors.

My concern is that they're a full remodel shop and that I should just find a plumber to do the work.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
txag2008
AG
From a price perspective that doesn't seem bad. 4500 for that amount work might be a tad on the high side but neither figure is crazy high.

Bathrooms aren't cheap when there's an existing bathroom in place, much less making a bathroom out of nothing.
The Original AG 76
AG
Where are you ?
In Houston that is very reasonable.
In CS it sounds very low.
The Fife
It's very reasonable for Charleston, but we're in a 2006-level housing bubble.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Plano (North Dallas suburb).

I think we're going to just have them do the plumbing work. Laying 20sqft of tile, installing sink/toilet and minor electrical we should be able to do.

$5k for all of that is a bit steep, especially when his estimate didn't include materials.

Thanks for the input everyone,
CapCity12thMan
AG
we had a new shower and drain line put in, new toilet and drain and tied those into adjacent bathroom main sewer line. We also moved some sinks. This was done on a second story so there was no foundation work, but it was just over $4K. This was in Austin.
Matsui
AG
When do you expect that housing bubble to pop?
water turkey
That doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Who did the work and would you recommend them for a small bathroom remodel? New shower, toilet, tile, cabinets and vanity. Looking at next summer getting it done.
CapCity12thMan
AG
The plumber was a subcontractor for my general contractor on the bathroom remodel.

I do however have a plumber I have used for this house on numerous repairs and I absolutely would recommend - honest, clean, polite, on time, quality work. Our next bathroom remodel, I am going to GC the thing and use him.

http://www.pureplumbingservice.com/

His name is Mark Reilly

I'll add that we have used http://convicthillfloorcovering.com/ for a kitchen remodel (no cabinets) and did wood floors throughout our house, but she does remodels too so don't let the name fool you. Her name is Christian and she is an Aggie too. Wish we had used her for the bathroom remodel, but she wasn't on our time line. She will not be the cheapest, but you cannot go wrong with her. We will be using her for our next remodel as well as to correct the mistakes made by the contractor noted above.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Thank you !
Satellite of Love
For the new toilet, what size pipe are they putting in for the drain line? Make sure that isn't undersized!
ChoppinDs40
AG
i assume 3"

Gonna make sure to get one of those new american standard super vortex ****ters.
The Fife
Matsui said:

When do you expect that housing bubble to pop?
If things went the other way in November, later this year. Given the current administration, I have no clue. Whenever interest rates actually start to rise though - not when someone announces they will rise later only to pull the football away at the last second. A sudden drop in foreign investment could do it too.

I think the powers that be will do everything possible to try and slow the market down while avoiding a true drop since it's only been 10 years since the last time the wheels fell off the bus and nobody wants to be associated with that again.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Thanks CapCity I just had Mark Reilly out from Pure Plumbing Service and he did a great job. Highly recommend Mark for Austin area plumbing needs.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Awesome. Hard to argue going with anyone else
tgivaughn
AG
Guessing that sounds about right but always get two bids -
concerned there's no mention of a foundation engineer blessing the future of this, giving guidance
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.