*****ly Pear Cactus Wilting

1,945 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Terk
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I planted a *****ly pear cactus in my backyard several weeks ago. I wanted a plant that could survive the cold weather so I would not have to replant year after year or take it inside for every freeze. The guy at the nursery said a *****ly pear cactus would be good and it appeared he was right due to the below article. Plus, I was planting it in a boot so it fit the theme.

Growing Cactus Plants in Cold-Winter Climates
Quote:

The champions of cold-hardy cacti come from the *****ly pear family, known botanically as Opuntia. There are many kinds of cacti in this family, but two of the toughest are Opuntia fragilis, hardy to -35 degrees F, and Opuntia poryapantha, hardy to -25F.

It was planted for a few weeks before the first deep freeze where it got down into the 20s. Right after the freeze the cactus began to wilt and below is what it looks like today. What went wrong?

Beckdiesel03
AG
I'm no expert but when I hear a plant is tolerant to freeze I assume it means an established plant in the ground. A new transplant above ground in a pot is gonna need some serious frost protection. That's just my first thought as someone who has lost quite a few plants over the years.
young eugene
AG
I've noticed the same thing on several cactus in the neighborhood. But because these were larger and more established, the freeze only killed the peripheral growth.
The Fife
It also may have frozen the roots and dirt in the pot, compared to if the plant was in the ground where only the exposed parts would have been exposed to freezing temperatures.
Streetfighter 02
AG
It froze and is most likely toast. Hardiness ratings are for established plants. Potted plants need more protection and would have lower rating than those directly planted in ground. I was out of town and lost a 30 year old 6'+ euphorbia succulent.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

I'm no expert but when I hear a plant is tolerant to freeze I assume it means an established plant in the ground. A new transplant above ground in a pot is gonna need some serious frost protection. That's just my first thought as someone who has lost quite a few plants over the years.
Exactly! Some new neighbors down the way from us just planted a bunch of sago palms a few weeks ago and they look to be burned pretty good. The ones we have that have been established for a few years are all looking just fine.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

A new transplant above ground in a pot is gonna need some serious frost protection.

How would you recommend this frost protection? I would not think that wrapping the base of the pot would provide much.

I bought this plant at Calloway's Nursery. They will refund any plant you are not satisfied with. Home Depot has the same policy but I think they are a little more strict on the returns.

I'm going to replace it this weekend. I will bring it into the garage at the next freeze but hopefully we won't get down in the 20s like it did in Dallas a few weeks ago.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I don't plant that late in the winter bc I'm too lazy to bring my potted plants indoors. But normally I would bring it into the garage or wrap a very thick blanket around the base to protect the roots as well as over the top. You can get thick cheap blankets at goodwill and thrift stores. I've also found simply by having it right up next to the house and protected from direct wind it helps keep it warmer from the radiant heat. Just tips I've learned the hard way throughout the years.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

A new transplant above ground in a pot is gonna need some serious frost protection.

How would you recommend this frost protection? I would not think that wrapping the base of the pot would provide much.

I bought this plant at Calloway's Nursery. They will refund any plant you are not satisfied with. Home Depot has the same policy but I think they are a little more strict on the returns.

I'm going to replace it this weekend. I will bring it into the garage at the next freeze but hopefully we won't get down in the 20s like it did in Dallas a few weeks ago.

Actually covering the plant and/or wrapping the pot with a blanket/towel, would probably work just fine. I have simply covered them with an old sheet before and it works. Main thing is to keep the frost off the green and provide just enough of a layer to prevent roots from freezing.

If you can't move indoors, try getting it as close to your home as possible to limit air flow around the base and preferably on the south side to avoid northern winds.
alabamaaggie12
AG
You also want to make sure there is some moisture in the soil to protect the roots. Not too wet, or the water in the soil can expand enough as it freezes that it breaks the plant container.
PlanoAg98
AG
The nursery took back the plant. They said it's best to come back in March to buy another one. That will give the plant 8-9 months to establish itself for the first freeze. They also said to move it into the garage if it's going to be a hard freeze just to be safe.
Terk
AG
If you want some *****ly pear - I've got access to thousands of acres of the ****.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.