Hole in Roof

1,182 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PlanoAg98
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a tree fall on my roof during Sunday night's storms in Dallas. Luckily after the tree removal and inspection there is a ping pong size puncture in the roof. Do roofers do this small of jobs? If not, any recommendations to fix?

DadAG10
Roofer is going to charge a minimum $250 on any repair just to come out, and that's if you can find one.

As long as the felt and decking wasn't damaged, I would go get to Home Depot and see if they have any loose shingles that match. Get some roofing nails and get after it. Just be careful raising the surrounding shingles so they don't break.
PlanoAg98
AG
The hole did go through the felt and board.
keo1
AG
Who did that horrible tree pruning job.
PlanoAg98
AG
$250 fix

They don't have to replace the decking for a hole this small. They place a 16" x 16" piece of thin metal covered by a water proof patch and then re-shingled.

The tree company did the pruning job. You should have seen it prior when I did it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
DadAG10 said:

Roofer is going to charge a minimum $250 on any repair just to come out, and that's if you can find one.

As long as the felt and decking wasn't damaged, I would go get to Home Depot and see if they have any loose shingles that match. Get some roofing nails and get after it. Just be careful raising the surrounding shingles so they don't break.
This.

You're going to have to pull a decent sized area to do this properly. After the sheet metal goes down you'll need to re-felt it. The key to making everything waterproof is to make sure your new felt is UNDER the strip above it. Over or under on the sides, you'll want a fair bit of overlap.

Get a putty knife to "cut" the adhesive strip that binds the tab to the shingle below it. For the last course that you remove don't bother trying to pull the nails. Rip that shingle out, use a pair of pliers to reach up and snatch any big remnants, and drive the nails flush with the roof deck. I like to use a piece of 2x4 set on the overlying shingle and hit the board with my hammer. This will prevent you bruising the overlying shingle.

Also you'll probably want a bit of roofing adhesive (comes in a caulk tube) to re-glue that upper course to the patch.
PlanoAg98
AG
I'm having a roofer do the work. Not bad for $250.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.