Stupid hackberry trees - limb cutting question

1,632 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Potcake
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Th rent house next door has about six large hackberry trees that hang over the fence and have ruined two sets of our pool chair cushions with their sap, not to mention the damn leaves in the Fall. I started cutting branches and want to know if that black gunk that people use to cover the cut wounds also prevents new growth? Thanks
gigem70
AG
No it does not.
p_bubel
Hackberrys make for decent fire wood, by the way.
Martin Cash
AG
p_bubel said:

Whut? It's horrible for a fire place.
Josepi
AG
BQ75 said:

p_bubel said:

I would disagree with you. I've burned it plenty of times without problem. Also Googled the subject and I can't find anything about it being bad for a fireplace
p_bubel
BQ75 said:

p_bubel said:

Not all wood is burned in a fireplace.
The Fife
Burning hackberry is about the best use for it that I can think of. The sap and branches fall everywhere and they're too susceptible to ants.
The Collective
AG
BQ75 said:

p_bubel said:

I believe it is fine. It won't be as hot as oak, but it is ok as long as it is dried out properly.
Willis
AG
We had a hackberry tree when we moved into our home. After about a year we cut it down and replaced it with an oak. Try to get your neighbor to get rid of it.
Rongagin71
AG
Hackberry is famous for falling on houses but I have used it for firewood - lights easy and produces a decent scent though wouldn't use it to smoke meat.
The Fife
For some reason I thought it made a lot of ash. Maybe that's some other species?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Willis said:

We had a hackberry tree when we moved into our home. After about a year we cut it down and replaced it with an oak. Try to get your neighbor to get rid of it.
His neighbor has six large hackberry trees. I doubt he's going to cut down all six out of the goodness of his heart even if they are a nuisance.
Potcake
AG
Yea, it's a rental duplex that the owner does little as far as landscaping. I think I'm stuck doung a major limb trimjob and maintaining new growth before it gets out of hand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.