HVAC GUYS- Whole Home Dehumidifier?

2,538 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiez03
Darby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vernada
AG
Definitely do it.
The Fife
Would do it, and retrofit one in partially because the HVAC systems were oversized to begin with. Ours is a Honeywell DR90.

Even if the systems weren't too large it helps a lot early and late in the season when the humidity is up but it isn't warm enough for the A/C to run very much.
Darby
The Fife
That's good - pretty sure it's the only one they make. Just remember to put it in an accessible spot because there's an inline filter that needs to be checked out every so often.
Olag00
AG
I have been wanting to install one of these as well but we are debating moving so I haven't pulled the trigger. Make sure not to overpay too much on the equipment. Amazon has them for $1358 so keep that in mind when getting quotes. I think Fife installed his on his own as well...
The Fife
Olag00 said:

I have been wanting to install one of these as well but we are debating moving so I haven't pulled the trigger. Make sure not to overpay too much on the equipment. Amazon has them for $1358 so keep that in mind when getting quotes. I think Fife installed his on his own as well...
You are correct. The worst part was shoving the thing up the attic stairs. When I ran wire for the thermostat I used cable with 10 conductors so wiring was a non-issue. Ducting is no big deal if you've done it before and have a decent supply house nearby.
Aggietaco
AG
No experience with residential units, but I have a good friend that is a high end custom builder and very into HVAC and efficiency. Ultra-Aire is the brand he uses.
tgivaughn
AG
The rich ones get the Honeywell
the regular folks get a combo thermostat/humidistat for each system, et it @ 50%rh
the cheap ones simply run the AC a bit longer = why we freeze when going shopping, medical centers, etc. on tepid humid days
Darby
Olag00
AG
I did the Lennox HEPA60 and would do an inline one like you suggested if I was to do it again. The HEPA60 is installed to loop from the return to the supply and circulate the air so it isn't really "inline".

I am not sure if they "work". You would think you would be able to tell the difference when you left home and went to someone else's house that didn't have one but I can't tell a difference in the air quality.

I haven't done an air quality test or anything scientific. Response probably isn't much help but it is from my experience.
aggiez03
AG
Darby said:

What about the Trane CleanEffects air filter system

Worth the money?
Go with Cirrus Air Technologies if you are in Houston. If you have allergies or just want Guaranteed Class 100,000 Clean Room quality air, they are your only ones that guarantee that.

Visit their website and read the testimonials. People on allergy shots for years have installed the system and are off not only their shots, but their Zyrtec, Flonaise, etc. Amazing technology.

http://www.cirrusairtech.com/

PM me if you are interested, I have a Aggie friend at the company and probably can get you an Aggie discount.

Just read the response above mine, as far as 'Not being sure if they work'. These guys have air quality measurement tools to show you the results after installation, if you are concerned about that as well.
aggiez03
AG
So how many hours a day does a dehumidifier typically run?

It would bring the humidity down, but doesn't it actually raise your utility bill due to the hot air from the dehumifier, thus making your run your A/C more?

I talked to an A/C buddy of mine and he says they cost a lot to run and raise the room temp, so he didn't recommend them too much. This was a portable unit though, so it may require a lot more energy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.