Need a new washer & dryer

1,885 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's hard to find a positive online review of any washer/dryer! They all apparently break after one month, never get clothes clean or dry or something else terrible.

Anyway, looking for a top load washer and a gas dryer.

Looking at models that MSRP at around $1k/ea.

Need quiet operation.

My in-laws have some LGs that are about 2 years old that seem really nice.

I've also been looking at the Whirlpool Cabrio 5.3 cu ft washer and 8.8 cu ft dryer (8500 series).

I'm wide open to suggestions... except front load washers.
The Fife
Speedqueen
Vernada
AG
how's the noise level?
TXTransplant
I love my LG top loader (that replaced my LG front loader that fell out of my favor after over 7 years of fighting odor and mold). Not sure if it will be quiet enough for you, though. It does kind of sound like a jet engine taking off/landing at the beginning and end of the wash cycle. It's quiet during the wash, though. I bought mine at Lowes, and the reviews weren't great, but I haven't had a single problem in over a year and a half of use. I think the people who complain don't have theirs installed/balances correctly.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Samsung dryer going on 3 years here in NB. I was really scared having the digital timer bc I hate technology but it's been great. Can't speak for washer bc my 17 yo frigidaire is still going strong
Beckdiesel03
AG
And speed queen will be my washer when mine dies
Vernada
AG
I like the idea of the speedqueen but in our remodel, our utility room ended up sharing a door with the living room. I'm worried that those units are going to be louder than what we are wanting. My in-law's LG units are super quiet so that's what my wife is using as her baseline.
histag10
AG
GE? I have heard good things about their newer ones.

Family members have Samsung, none have made it past a year without needing repairs, which are super expensive on Samsung
The Fife
Vernada said:

how's the noise level?
From what I read it's about average. We're still using the Kennmore set I bought in 2004.

Our W/D are in the master closet which shares a wall with the family room. It may be a bit late for your project, but to cut down on noise I insulated all walls, used spray foam on any penetrations (including wires going into wall boxes and drywall / wall box gap) and caulked all drywall to the studs. Doors are solid core and the one between the family room and bedroom has a rubber gasket around it like an exterior door has. The end result is that laundry noise can't be heard at all from the family room, and the TV/baby/... can't be heard from the bedroom.
CapCity12thMan
AG
our Samsungs are 5 years old. We have had to replace the heating element in the dryer twice and some controller board in it once. And of course we have the washer that was on the recall list for coming apart and hurting people.

The dryer lint screen also broke so I had to replace that, and then the washing machine has a metal rod that the lid hinges off off, which is right above the little drawer where you put your detergent. That rod rusted, and the moisture from it would drip into the little tray, so at the end of every cycle you have some nice rust water sitting in there that might spill out when you go to do another load.

With the detergent pods nowadays - we don't use that little drawer and in fact I just took it out altogether.
Vernada
AG
too late for a lot of that, but we will be installing a solid core door with weather stripping.
histag10
AG
Personally, I would also look for a top load washer. I just really hate the front load. Our laundry room is also a mud room, and it's our dogs point of entry from their dog door, so leaving the washer door open isnt really an option, and I'm quite tired of having to clean the washer for the mildew smell (and the ring around the door, UGH, it gets nasty!)
Vernada
AG
histag10 said:

Personally, I would also look for a top load washer.
Yeah - that's why I said no front load in the op.
Aggielandma12
AG
Another vote for speed queen. Solid american built machines that get the job done.
The Fife
Vernada said:

too late for a lot of that, but we will be installing a solid core door with weather stripping.
If you find a sweep for the bottom of the door that doesn't make any noise I'm all ears. The ones I've seen fit around the bottom of exterior doors so they're too thick (and loud) anyway.
OnlyForNow
AG
We bought a set of LGs almost 8 years ago now and they have not had any issues, might be a bit above your 1,000 msrp but I think they were less than 2,500 total.
Vernada
AG
OnlyForNow said:

We bought a set of LGs almost 8 years ago now and they have not had any issues, might be a bit above your 1,000 msrp but I think they were less than 2,500 total.

Looks like we'll be getting the LG ones with front panel control and steam (both W&D).

We were predisposed to those because we like the in laws set so much.
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

Vernada said:

If you find a sweep for the bottom of the door that doesn't make any noise I'm all ears. The ones I've seen fit around the bottom of exterior doors so they're too thick (and loud) anyway.
Hey Fife, have you tried any of these? My neighbor has them on several of their doors and swears by them.

TWIN DRAFT GUARD DOOR DRAFT STOPPER
OnlyForNow
AG
Ours have the steam option as well. With ththe direct drive motors.

They are $$$$ but dang good machines. The biggest key to the front loaders is leave the door open on the washer after your done with it for a day or so.
Vernada
AG
I'm getting a top load.
The Fife
Gary79Ag said:

The Fife said:

Vernada said:

Hey Fife, have you tried any of these? My neighbor has them on several of their doors and swears by them.

TWIN DRAFT GUARD DOOR DRAFT STOPPER
I think my grandma had some of those in her trailer. Don't remember them working terribly well... I'm about ready to use some double sided foam tape on the underside of the door since that would be invisible. Not enough to touch the floor, but to cut down on the 3/8" or so worth of gap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.