70 year old house facelift

4,375 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by malibu9in1
malibu9in1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very happy on my old house facelift. Just wanted to share. New roof, porch, door, can lights, paint, landscape. Took about 2 months to do.

p_bubel
cadetjay02
AG
Do you know the paint color for the brick, this is in my future? Also, nice down lighting.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Better than chip and jojo!
malibu9in1
cadetjay02 said:

Do you know the paint color for the brick, this is in my future? Also, nice down lighting.

I have it in my storage. Thx for praise. I picked it all out myself. Months of driving and looking for ideas.
cadetjay02
AG
Are the eaves the same color as the brick? Seems like that would simplify things. And are the shutters black or a dark brown?
Señor Chang
AG
Looks great. How hard was it painting the brick?
malibu9in1
The trim is white. The brick is like a light tanish? Creamish? Shutters are black. Window trim is black. The landscape has black mulch. Grayish flagstone for border.
malibu9in1
We had to use a special primer for the brick. All the paint and stuff is sherwin Williams
91AggieLawyer
AG
Never a fan of painting brick, but that does look good!
malibu9in1
91AggieLawyer said:

Never a fan of painting brick, but that does look good!

I wasn't either. But something had to change.
Fleen
Cost to prime/paint the brick? Time?
Fleen
Just showed my wife the pics, you live here in CS? She just said "I think that's the house o told you about!"

We've been talking about painting the brick for a while.
txag2008
AG
Like previously said, I'm typically anti painting brick because you're turning a maintenance free exterior into something that fades/chips/peels over time, but you did a good job. Looks sharp.

Did you paint yourself? Brush? Roller? Gun?
Fleen
Txag2008, that has been my hesitation, but our brick is pink and o really want to update the look. OP's house is almost exact same facade as my 1942 house...
Señor Chang
AG
I hate the pink brick color on my house. I've never considered painting because of the maintenance issues mentioned, but this is making me reconsider.

How long is the paint supposed to last for?
Fleen
Also, did you diy your window replacements?
Fleen
Nevermind, looks like I was mixed up on your window configuration...
malibu9in1
Fleen said:

Cost to prime/paint the brick? Time?

I bought materials for around $700. I did some horse trading on the labor.
malibu9in1
Fleen said:

Just showed my wife the pics, you live here in CS? She just said "I think that's the house o told you about!"

I live in Bryan.
malibu9in1
Seor Chang said:

I hate the pink brick color on my house. I've never considered painting because of the maintenance issues mentioned, but this is making me reconsider.

How long is the paint supposed to last for?

SW said 5 to 7 years. At that cost I can redo it fairly cheap.
Fleen
malibu9in1 said:

Fleen said:

I live in Bryan.

I should have said B/CS, we live in North Oakwood...
malibu9in1
I live off of vinewood. Behind harmony school. It's quiet. Well, it was. I live 2 houses down from the guy that murderd the 2 people and burnt down the house.
bam02
AG
,Looks fantastic!
ChoppinDs40
AG
3 homes within 200 yards of ours have been painted white (brick) and natural or painted wooden shutters added.

Before long, this entire state is going to look like a "grand homes" brochure or an episode of fixer upper.
The Fife
AggieFanatic09 said:

3 homes within 200 yards of ours have been painted white (brick) and natural or painted wooden shutters added.

Before long, this entire state is going to look like a "grand homes" brochure or an episode of fixer upper.

Malibu's place looks OK though but I've seen a pic or two of the interior.
ChoppinDs40
AG
don't throw stones - some people aren't overly fond of your george jetson home
The Fife
Fixer Upper has sort of become a punchline after a couple of people we know mistakenly chalk painted and distressed actual antiques in the name of French country or whatever, and then had an "oh ****!" moment once they realized it.
ChoppinDs40
AG
do antiques need to be... antiqued?
The Fife
It doesn't help when you paint 'em white or turquoise and then rough up the edges at random. The problem was they should have picked something inexpensive or in poor condition instead of what they had on hand. They didn't know what they had until someone with an eye for old stuff was over.
ChoppinDs40
AG
antiquing looks good if you take some broyhill piece with no sentimental value or value other than for a bonfire.

oh well, they likely weren't going to sell it at an antique roadshow either way.
malibu9in1
The Fife said:

AggieFanatic09 said:

Malibu's place looks OK though but I've seen a pic or two of the interior.

Thx bro!! The pooper is done! Yrs looks bad azzz too

Dr.Rumack
Nice pooper!
The Fife
Blue star for the floating vanity.

What's the material in the shower? 12x24 tile of some kind? It looks like solid surface in the pictures but that has to be impossible...
malibu9in1
It is tile brother. I got it from the dollar floor store by my house. Cullon cabinets on Marino road made the vanity and storage for towels. I picked out everything. However I didn't do all the work. I think I'm capable, just don't have the toools. Kitchen is next. I gotta save up again. The plumber has to fix a few minor stuff. But everyone is using it now. I'm excited.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.