Suggestions for Home Security Video System?

4,337 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Complaint Investigator
TexAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prefer:
Indoor and outdoor HD cameras (4-5 max)
Wireless cameras
Live monitoring on smartphone / tablet
No monthly fee for storage
AggieLong
AG
I just purchase 3 Nest cameras (2 outdoor / 1 indoor) during Black Friday. Set up was very easy and the apps work great. There is a monthly fee for storage however.
aggiepaintrain
AG
you still have to get power to wireless cameras, I went with wired.
LTS was the brand, very pleased
Caliber
AG
If truly wireless is required, go with Arlo.

I'm testing some Arlo cameras right now and they do a decent job, but just don't do as a good a job or as fast to view as my hardwired IP camera system.

If you want pure security cameras for motion detect, very occasional live monitor use, Arlo is good. If you want to be able to check in more often without waiting for a live stream (baby monitor, etc), definitely look at a hardwired IP camera system.

Get POE IP cameras and all you have to run to them is an ethernet cable.
jbryan10
AG
If ethernet isn't an option but you can still plug it into the wall for power, another option would be a WiFi camera from Amcrest (or one of the many other manufacturers). I don't have one yet but will soon and can update this once I do, but it allows for live viewing via app/internet, has motion detection with alerts, and has multiple storage options: cloud-based services ($), on-board SD-card, an NVR ($), or it can upload to an FTP (hosted by your own NAS for example).
KDubAg
AG
Nm
MrJonMan
AG
Also interested in this. Just installed a ring pro and it has caused me to want more cameras but want the same ease of love viewing that the ring offers
DeBoss
AG
I just found out that ring.com also has wireless cameras. There are 100% wireless and require to be recharged 1-2x a year through a USB. Would be a decent addition and would keep it in the same app as your doorbell.
MrJonMan
AG
DeBoss said:

I just found out that ring.com also has wireless cameras. There are 100% wireless and require to be recharged 1-2x a year through a USB. Would be a decent addition and would keep it in the same app as your doorbell.

you can also wire them in or add a solar panel charger

I just don't know anyone with them and don't want to spend $199 per camera on something that I haven't heard a review of
DeBoss
AG
My mom bought one and I am installing some point in the next week or so. I will report back on the quality.
hurricanejake02
AG
I've got two of the doorbells. If I was going to add cameras solely for security purposes, I'd be looking for dedicated cameras with on site recording.

The monthly fees aren't bad with ring, but they are per device... add another camera, it's another $30/yr. Also the recordings seen to miss the first few seconds of motion detection - I often only see my UPS guy from behind as he walks away.
MrJonMan
AG
DeBoss said:

My mom bought one and I am installing some point in the next week or so. I will report back on the quality.

Awesome!
GCRanger
AG
The following was information from a friend of mine that did his own install. This is from months ago and some of the links are broken. I haven't set this up yet but it is on the to do list. I want to get my little network cabinet going first before wiring up the security system.

Quote:

I ordered all my stuff from AliExpress, China's version of ebay + Amazon. You get much reduced pricing at the increased risk of returns/warranties (its expensive to get stuff back to China). I've made sure all my orders go their DHL shipping upgrade (increase quantities) and had it within a few days delivered all the way from China.
For NVR I would recommend:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-NVR-8CH-Plug-Play-8CH-PoE-Up-to-6MP-Onvif-Project-level-Network-video-recorder/638300_1984469384.html
I got these HDs (amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Purple-3TB-Surveillence-Hard-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5N8/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435538642&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A8067153011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A4990426011%2Cp_89%3AWestern+Digital
Lens education:
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/CCTV-Camera-Lens-Comparison-s/741.htm
This camera is a great all purpose camera, good for around the eves of a house - 4mm lens:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2013-Hikvision-Original-infrared-gun-waterproof-network-camera-DS-2CD2032-I-3MP-IR-ip-camera-support/638300_1397052584.html
This is the camera I've used for my doors/entry with a 2.8mm lens (380TVL = wider angle):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-hikvision-3megapixel-3mp-array-30m-IR-Network-Dome-DS-2CD2332-I-support-POE-free-shipping/638300_1396985171.html
This is an alternative:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/FREE-shipping-Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-3MP-Outdoor-Network-Mini-Dome-Camera-30M-IR-Digital-HD/638300_1397050451.html
For something where you are trying to zoom in (e.g. driveway or aren't sure of the field of view), these are good, but a lot bigger and more expensive:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-Network-IP-camera-DS-2CD2632F-IS-3MP-2-8-12mm-vari-focal-lens-IR-w/638300_1450972929.html
MrJonMan
AG
DeBoss said:

Any update to this?
jbryan10
AG
jbryan10 said:

If ethernet isn't an option but you can still plug it into the wall for power, another option would be a WiFi camera from Amcrest (or one of the many other manufacturers). I don't have one yet but will soon and can update this once I do, but it allows for live viewing via app/internet, has motion detection with alerts, and has multiple storage options: cloud-based services ($), on-board SD-card, an NVR ($), or it can upload to an FTP (hosted by your own NAS for example).
I did finally get my Amcrest IP3M-943 (WiFi Outer Bullet Camera) and am VERY happy with it. Have it recording 24/7 to my NAS and can live view any time via PC or phone app. Only issue I am having so far is the app not properly sending motion detection alerts. Still working on figuring that out but it seems to be a app problem, not a camera problem.
Bob_Ag
AG
I installed and purchased this Amcrest model.

Amcrest

It's not IPoE, but HD-CVI. The picture quality is very impressive and it was extremely simple to install. Fortunately I had an easy place to drop the wires down the wall where the builders had run all the other cables for internet etc. and was a convenient place to put the DVR and monitor.

I did get it to work on my iPhone at first, but stopped for some reason (haven't looked into). All I care about is that it continues to record.
DeBoss
AG
So the camera was super easy to setup and seems to be working just fine for her. Hasn't had any false alarms on the camera yet. Can't say the video is super HD but seems to do just fine. If you have the doorbell, I would definitely give this camera a try and see if you like it.
MrJonMan
AG
Awesome, appreciate the update
DeBoss
AG
Just got a text from my mom this morning that the cold weather has messed with battery life and she is having to pull the camera down and charge. I told her to contact Ring.com to see if the battery is really dead after only 1-2 months or if it's just the cold messing with the reading. FYI they say battery should last between 6-12 months.
Watchful Ag
AG
I'm looking for at least two, true HD cameras for around the driveway. I want to easily read the license plates of cars that pull up to my house. Even if it includes a hard wire, does anybody have recommendations for a system that isn't too crazy expensive?
aggiez03
AG
I would recommend Nellys Security out of Tulsa.

I have 3 cameras at my house and now about 15 cameras at my SIL's business and horse barn.

Nellys carries stuff made by Hikvision, but they are white labeled, so you save a little money, but still get the 3 year warranty.

I will caution anyone buying Hikvision cameras from AliExpress or even Amazon, verify that your seller is not selling the Chinese version of the camera. The issue is two fold, one you can never get the warranty fulfilled and a 3 year warranty is pretty good. Secondly, you can never upgrade the firmware as when you do, it bricks the camera.

Here are the 4 MP Cameras I used ($150):
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/h-series-nsc-204-bt-outdoor-hd-4mp-ip-bullet-security-camera-4mm.html

You can now get 5 MP cameras for about $15 more.

I have 3 MP cameras on my driveway and can easily read a license plate at 40 feet.

They also have a 16 channel NVR for a little over $200.

Let me know if you have ?s, I have lots of experience with these cameras.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Where can I find a dealer to install the monitoring equipment they won't sell to us peasants?

I can buy the wifi bundle, and a large HD, but I also want a monitoring svc.
Complaint Investigator
AG
For any one who wants a second recommendation: The Nelly Team really impressed me. I'm going with a whole house wifi system on a recorder that will store a couple weeks of video for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.