Kitchen Sink Faucet Leak -- Need Help

1,010 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 213 Grove
AGeng25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My kitchen sink faucet (Moen) has a slow, steady drip -- maybe 1 drip every 3 seconds. Turning the handle (that you push up to run the water) left or right causes the faucet to get better or worse depending on which position it's in. Example below.

Example: Say the faucet handle being perpendicular to the back of the sink (i.e. lukewarm water setting) is 0 degrees, and all the way to the left (i.e. max hot) is -90 degrees, and all the way to the right (i.e max cold) is +90 degrees. Turning the handle to the +45 degree mark produces the smallest amount of drip (sometimes no drip at all). Turning it -90 degrees maximizes drip -- almost full steady running water. Turning it +90 degrees is medium drip.

I disassembled the faucet to see if there were an loose parts and upon tightening everything, attempting to clean it, and re-assembly, it did not help.

EDIT: I've also noticed that turning into the max hot position is more difficult than the max cold position.

Any idea on what is causing the drip? Maybe an old, cracked or broken o-ring? Is it worth calling a plumber or can I order a part or two and fix this myself? I'm in Katy, TX.
03_Aggie
I'd suspect an O-ring came apart. You can replace the stem or the faucet. Can't imagine I'd call a plumber out, I'd just put in a new one before I did that.
213 Grove
AG
Go to somewhere such as Moore Supply with a picture of your faucet or the model/make if you know it and tell them it's leaking. Most likely the cartridge needs to be replaced and they can help you find the right one
Ikanizer
AG
Call Moen and they will probably send you a new cartridge for free. I've been amazed at their service a couple of times.
213 Grove
AG
Ikanizer said:

Call Moen and they will probably send you a new cartridge for free. I've been amazed at their service a couple of times.
Just saw that this was a Moen. Yes do this. Moen has a lifetime warranty on all their parts and great customer support and should send you a free cartridge.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.