Granite Countertops - Are they installed correctly?

1,912 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Diggity
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just had granite installed in my kitchen and I have a few questions about the installation.

Along the backside against the wall the granite isn't a straight cut and is rough. Because the cut isn't straight, the gap between the granite and wall varies from 1/32" to close to 1/4". I know this will be covered up by the backsplash when I install it, but I guess I just thought it would be a straight cut and be caulked all the way down against the wall. I know the wall is straight because I ran a straight edge down it. Along the same line, there is a seam where the backside rough edges of the two pieces don't line up. Again, I know it will be covered but it doesn't seem right. There is also a 2" hole busted in the sheetrock where the backsplash will be. Lastly, the plywood underneath doesn't run the length of the countertop under the granite. At two ends there is about a 6" gap.

If I'm complaining about something that is totally normal, please put me in my place. I don't know anything about this stuff and I'm meeting the guy tomorrow to pay for the second half. Just want to make sure its installed to proper standards before I pay. I'll try to post pics tonight. Other than that the granite itself looks beautiful, so that's something to be happy about!
AccountantAg
AG
Same when I installed as far as gaps and it looking "rough" up againt where backsplash would go. Ultimately since the caulk and backsplash cover it I didn't think anything of it.

Not sure about your plywood issue
histag10
AG
can you post a picture of the issues? Its much easier to gauge the potential problems. If you dont know how to post pictures, you can e-mail them to me at histag2010@gmail.com and I will post them for you
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks, maybe I'm complaining about nothing. Would the gap normally be caulked? Here are the pics if this works.

http://imgur.com/a/nIoHU

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src='http://imgur.com/a/nIoHU/embed'></iframe>
SweaterVest
AG
Crap, looks like I didn't do it right. Does the link work?
AccountantAg
AG
SweaterusVestus said:

Thanks, maybe I'm complaining about nothing. Would the gap normally be caulked? Here are the pics if this works.

http://imgur.com/a/nIoHU

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src='http://imgur.com/a/nIoHU/embed'></iframe>

I caulked because I needed to use my sink before I completed my backsplash. If you did the backsplash right now I'm not even sure it would be necessary since the grout + tile and sealer should prevent any water from getting behind there.

Like I said you're never gonna see the imperfections. I'm sure if you pulled up baseboards, you would see imperfect tile/wood floor boards as well.
histag10
AG

you have to have the .jpg on the end of the link. On imgur, its listed as the "direct link"
histag10
AG
Also, what type of granite is that? It looks just like the stuff we are getting
Aggietaco
AG
No real problems other than poor craftsmanship. No issue with the plywood either since it picks up support at the cabinet end. I'd be more likely to complain about the quality of that joint more than anything.
toolshed
AG
I would agree that the joint looks to be the worst of the issues. The gap to the wall isn't a big deal and while my contractors gap doesn't normally vary that much, as you stated, it's getting a tile splash so it's not a big deal. The hole is the Sheetrock is where someone pried with their nail bar to move the slab and punched a hole in the Sheetrock. Again, sloppy but not an issue. Tile will go over it fine. The plywood decking is fine as well. As stated, they added a separate piece on the end panel so it's fully supported. They may have some reason they do that, or they simply didn't have enough plywood and that was their solution. Not ever visible so not an issue.

But the joint is pretty ragged and I think they should have matched the epoxy color better than they did. To me it has too much brown in it vs the white and grays of the granite. With the right crew, they may could pop the granite up and recut the joint, but I wouldn't look for him to volunteer that based on what I see elsewhere.
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks everyone for the replies. The boss is coming by to take a look today. Seems like everything is OK, just not done to the highest standards.
Diggity
AG
we had to get on our counter guy about his crappy joints. they chipped the hell out of the counter when cutting (guessing they didn't have the right blade for it) then tried to fill it in with epoxy several shades darker.

had to insist he rip out one of the pieces and replace it with a better joint. they were livid.

That's what I get for going with cheap bid. these guys will try to pass off their crappy work as normal unless you call them on it.

Aggietaco
AG
Holy hell
OnlyForNow
AG
That is terrible.
SweaterVest
AG
My countertop guy is going to be glad you posted that. I'm way less pissed now about how mine turned out.
Diggity
AG
Glad to help. The second attempt, while not perfect, was much more palatable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.