Finding an old contractor through permits

1,049 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JP76
jjdavis85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a client who purchased a home that recently had a new roof installed on it by the previous owner. They had several pretty bad leaks after the rain this week and we were hoping to track down the roofer to see if the roof was still under any type of warranty.

We haven't had any luck with the listing agent providing any information, nor did we really expect to. I was planning on calling the city tomorrow to see if there were any permits pulled on the property for the roof installation. Would they be able to tell me who pulled the permits? I know roof warranties are pretty limited as far as workmanship is concerned, but I figured this is the only shot they have right now. Thanks
p_bubel
What county?

Here in Bexar you can search permits online.
jjdavis85
AG
Brazos. City of Bryan specifically.
dubi
AG
Permits
AgEngineer72
AG
If contractor only replaced the roof covering (no structural repairs) is a permit required in that jurisdiction?
dubi
AG
AgEngineer72 said:

If contractor only replaced the roof covering (no structural repairs) is a permit required in that jurisdiction?
I'm not sure. But calling the "permit" phone number will get you someone who can answer that question.
JP76
Yes a permit is required in Bryan for a reroof.

https://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/DO-I-NEED-A-PERMIT-FLYER-COMBINED.pdf

Does that mean they pulled one on this roof ? Depends on how ethical the contractor was.
Call 979 209 5010 and they can tell you what's been pulled from the address.
You could also ask the neighbors if they saw what company did the roof or if there was a sign in the yard.
On the sellers disclosure there is a box for yes or no in section 6 for unpermitted work. If this box was marked No and a permit was not pulled on the new roof you may have something in your favor should you choose to pursue this further.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.