Pools

1,866 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by J.P. 03
bigevent99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have gotten 3 quotes from different pool companies and all 3 have proposed different soil methods for what is apparently crappy north texas soil: injection, engineered soil replacement, piers. Can any wise Texager tell me how likely injection is to fail and if it's worth the 10-12% premium to go to engineered soil?

Also looking for a POV on salt vs. chlorine/ozonation.

TIA
Potcake
AG
Our pool builder, in Austin, advised against salt, which is what I wanted, but wasn't going to fight him and the wife.
cadetjay02
AG
I'm not sure what soil issues you're referring to. Riverbend built mine in Prosper last winter and none of the quotes I got talked about soil. Where in North Texas are you?

Also, we wanted salt but all 3 builders were not high on it. Apparently hard on equipment, tile, and coping.
Cadet05
AG
Salt has been easy peasy for me going on 5 years. Minimal chemical maintenance and no equipment issues.
ag0207
AG
Check the website troublefreepool for advice. Great resource for upkeep & any other questions you may have.

Salt being hard on equipment/pool tile etc. is a pretty big myth. I have a salt system which has been a breeze to manage. Most people don't realize that when you add almost any form of chlorine to your pool you are also adding salt. Some chlorine pools will approach the same concentration as a salt pool.

Go with salt you won't regret it.
EvenPar
AG
We are in the BCS and thinking about a pool as well and have received one quote so far. Our quote didn't even mention soil differences. This company also prefers chlorine over salt. Seems like all the pool contractors here bring in a crew from Houston. Would any of you like to give your recommendations on which contractors you have used or receive bids from here in BCS? Are there large differences in price between contractors or are they relatively close?
EEAg07
AG
We just switched our hot tub to saltwater and have been VERY happy with it. Also my folks have a saltwater pool which we all love and they've had minimal equipment issues going on about 8 years now. Salt is the way to go.
maverick12
AG
We have a SWG and like it. It can be hard on some stones that are more porous but we haven't had any trouble with ours. You do have to replace the salt cell every three to five years though at a little over $500 a pop.
Josepi
AG
I live in north east Texas, and we got a bid on a Pool about 6 months ago. Not one mention of soil.
bigevent99
AG
I'm in the Castle Hills area
Texas Ag Mom
Put our pool in 1997. Saltwater w/OK Flagstone. Had to replace the first salt system after a few years. Cost a lot more than $500 if I recall correctly. Had the pool redone in 2013. Had all the flagstone replaced. I was AMAZED at the degree our stone had deteriorated. After the new stone was installed it was very obvious & the contractor said it was due to salt. Salt system #2 stopped working in 2014 & we have not replaced it. When we had the pool built equipment was installed to run as chlorine if we wanted to so that is what we are doing currently. I have sensitive skin so I was very pro salt but honestly I can't really tell the difference. I have to shower after but I did that even w/the salt. I also don't see much if any cost savings on chemicals between the 2. We have replaced all of our equip at this point so you can plan on that expense BEFORE you hit the 17 year mark.
maverick12
AG
Quote:

Had to replace the first salt system after a few years. Cost a lot more than $500 if I recall correctly.

They are quite a bit more if you don't order them on-line. On another note, there is no reason I'm aware of that you can't add salt to a non-SWG pool if you like the feel.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Most people are ignoring your question regarding soil.

I don't own a pool but I would do some research. The soil in north Carrollton is the worst soil in Texas. Homes out there and kings gate are putting in piers with their slabs upon construction due to this.

Before anyone says "how do you know the soil is bad?" Very good friend of mine is a civil engineer that works primarily in grading. That soil is the worst there is. He suggests you put a barrier (large plastic sheet) around your foundation to reduce the variance in saturation in that area. I'm sure the contractor you're dealing with has built in this area before.
FincAg
AG
Anyone have a pool in Lake Highlands?
big ben
AG
Las Colinas has the worst soil in Texas, not to far from Carrollton.

Hell its so bad we studied it in COSC at A&M
ChoppinDs40
AG
Pretty much the same area. South of the lake, trinity river flood plain area.
J.P. 03
AG
Can't help with the soil question but I do want to piggyback on what others have said about saltwater's effect on your pool deck and surrounding furniture. I got some bids to resurface our pool deck (just a layer of concrete on top, not a full removal/replace) and was told that the length of the warranty for the concrete gets cut in half if you have a saltwater pool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.