Furniture Distressing

2,226 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zemira
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife want to have some old pieces of furniture painted white and distressed for our daughters room. I have neither the room, time, nor skill to take this on myself.

One is an armoire that needs to be stripped and the other two pieces are nude.

Anyone know somebody in Houston that does this?
The Fife
Strip, leave it outdoors for a week or so (helps if it rains some), give only one coat of cheap white paint and then hit some of the edges with a quarter sheet palm sander?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Use chalk paint - she's going for the Joanna Gaines look - bless your heart.
Bregxit
AG
People that can't read. Bless your heart.
Diggity
AG
Thanks for all the hot tips!
The Fife
dlance said:

People that can't read. Bless your heart.
Oops. I guess Hobby Lobby or somewhere sells this if ditching the original pieces is an option. Or find a SAHM to do it - they love that stuff for some reason.
ChoppinDs40
AG
in all seriousness though. Chalk paint may be what she's going for if she wants that "distressed, farmhouse feel"

Otherwise, you're stuck stripping it, sanding it, painting it, then sanding it again.

A friend of mine did this with their kitchen cabinets in a reno project. Pretty sure they just painted them white and then sanded on corners and what not for the distressed look.
Diggity
AG
so with chalk paint, no need to strip?

If that's the case, I can do it myself.
The Fife
AggieFanatic09 said:

in all seriousness though. Chalk paint may be what she's going for if she wants that "distressed, farmhouse feel"

Otherwise, you're stuck stripping it, sanding it, painting it, then sanding it again.

A friend of mine did this with their kitchen cabinets in a reno project. Pretty sure they just painted them white and then sanded on corners and what not for the distressed look.
That is exactly what the SAHMs I know did, or maybe they bought some already done from Hobby Lobby. Others did what I mentioned with the outdoors or banging crap into the furniture to speed things up a little.
ChoppinDs40
AG
just google chalk paint.

It's a matte paint that goes and covers pieces very well. Buy a little sample of it and paint part of the back or something and see how you like it.
Diggity
AG
thanks...I'll pass it on.
Diggity
AG
Why the hate for stay at home mom's Fife? I can remember when they were just called "moms"!
ChoppinDs40
AG
i don't think it's hate, but more just annoyance with how SAHM's are just basic sorority *****es grown up. All dress the same, watch the same trash TV, all follow the same fads (silhouette or Cricut anyone?), and, in this case, love the Joanna Gaines "modern farmhouse feel with hardwood floors, shiplap, subway tile, and distressed furniture"

Maybe it's just me.
Diggity
AG
Thanks for clarifying
Diggity
AG
I read on chalk paint and it seems you have to wax at the end so I don't know if it will save much time unfortunately.
BobSacamano
Also look up Antiqd by David Hurlock on Facebook. He lives in Oak Forest and makes quality furniture for very reasonable prices and I'm sure he could help with existing pieces.
The Fife
Diggity said:

Why the hate for stay at home mom's Fife? I can remember when they were just called "moms"!
Eh, not so much hate but that they're the only ones I know who do any of this farmhouse stuff and when they do they go all in. AggieFanatic09 summed it up well, but there's also the part where a pretty good number of them are involved in pyramid-ummm... multilevel marketing things that seem to get pretty life consuming. There's about a 100% correlation between people I know who do either of those things, and staying at home with small children.

Maybe it's craziness brought on from being held hostage for a long period of time; it's a very odd demographic to me.

edit: And yeah you're supposed to wax it. I'm not exactly sure why but I do remember someone complaining about that part. The people I know who did this did not remove the finish beforehand - for the most part their furniture was that sort of wenge finish brown, then the next week it was turquose/white/... The brown is still visible in areas they sanded through and where screws and nails were pounded into things. Also I wasn't joking about the outdoors, that's how someone did their lamps.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Oh yes MLM. Good god. Makeup, advocare, Poosy creams.

Lulu lemons galore. Drives me crazy.
rayneag
AG
It is easy to do. Link to ebook explaining process: http://makelyhome.com/how-to-get-designer-finishes-on-painted-furniture/

Also Annie Sloan has a line of products and paint that are fairly foolproof: https://wonderfauxhome.com/
Texas Ag Mom
There are different brands of chalk paint & it can be pretty pricey. I think HD or Lowes or both also has some now so that might cost less. My son & DIL painted some bedroom furniture & it looked AMAZING! The wax is not required but depends on the look you are going for. I think the chalk paint works well for some & then I have known others that struggled w/it. If you are ever in BCS there is a small store in downtown Bryan that sells the paint. She has tons of samples in every color & wax/no wax combination.The owner of the store gives lots of tips on painting furniture. I haven't been in the store in a year or so I don't know if the store is still there.

Found it.....

http://www.southerngracevintage.com/
chickencoupe16
AG
I'm no expert, but I've done a couple of things for my fiance and one of our friends has done crap load. Two things:

One, it's not that hard. Seriously, anyone can do it. That's a large part of why it's so popular. Just paint over the existing, sand down, then wax. If you can see the original coat, well then that's part of the charm. The wax darkens the sanded spots and does provide some protection to the piece, but mainly gives it a better look.

Second, do not buy the paint. I've never bought chalk paint, so I guess I can't actually compare, but it's possible (and much cheaper) to make your own. There are plenty of formulas for DIY chalk paint online. Also, you're not limited to the small selection of colors as you just use latex paint and mix in some plaster.
Zemira
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

i don't think it's hate, but more just annoyance with how SAHM's are just basic sorority *****es grown up. All dress the same, watch the same trash TV, all follow the same fads (silhouette or Cricut anyone?), and, in this case, love the Joanna Gaines "modern farmhouse feel with hardwood floors, shiplap, subway tile, and distressed furniture"

Maybe it's just me.
I'm not a Mom and I like hardwood floors!

Although you can keep the rest. I don't want subway tile in my house and I kinda hate farmhouse unless it is a damn farmhouse!
Zemira
AG
Although I did buy some distressed furniture that I think is being delivered at 7am tomorrow.

Solid wood and about 1/3 the price of new. One day in 5-15 years I'll get gung ho and refinish it to wood stain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.